Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Top rail vs none (Atlas R-One vs S-One)

So after being shown Optics Planet has a steep discount on an Aero upper if I go with the S-One handguard instead of the R-One, I'm now unsure what I want to do. The difference is R-One has a full top rail, while the S-One has only a little in the front and back with none in between and no possibility to add any.

I was initially thinking of going with the R-One because this will be my first AR and I'm not sure if there's any reason I might want top rails in the future. I figured I'm better off having it and not needing it than needing it and not having it. Also, I've seen complaints that the front MBUS sight doesn't work quite right on the short front rail on the S-One, but I've never seen a detailed explanation of what the issue is. Anybody know what's up with that?

Basically, I'm looking for more experienced people to give me an idea how likely it is I'll wish I had the top rail.
    Last edited by mtgadsden; April 25th, 2019 at 09:31 AM.

Default Re: Top rail vs none (Atlas R-One vs S-One)

You may want a pressure switch on the top rail for a light or a laser mounted up there, but other then that I could live without a full top rail. It would save a little weight. All my guns have full quad rails because I don't like the new mounting systems.
    Last edited by :-); April 25th, 2019 at 10:09 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by :-) View Post
    You may want a pressure switch on the top rail for a light or a laser mounted up there, but other then that I could live without a full top rail. It would save a little weight. All my guns have full quad rails because I don't like the new mounting systems.
    That's what Aero themselves told me, too. And at a $75 discount I guess I could surely figure something else out that would work just as good. Probably foolish to pass up that kind of savings because of "what if, maybe, someday."

(Allegheny County)

The only other thing I could think of that may make use of a continuous top rail would be adding a magnifier in addition to a red dot - you may need some rail forward of the rail that's on the upper - not 100% sure though, I'd have to look for pics since I don't have a magnifier on any of mine.

For some people, it's just about the appearance - some prefer the continuous rail.

A benefit of not having the continuous rail is (and this is big these days because of the popularity of the C-clamp grip) the ability to use your support hand to grip around the front of the handguard - it (a) makes for a thinner area to grip, and (b) it just feels better to grip something smooth vs a rail.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

I have an Aero Quantum handguard on my pistol. It has NO rail whatsoever and includes a rail section to add to the front to mount a BUIS.
    I know that one has issues with mounting a Magpul BUIS - I'm shocked that they would still offer a design that doesn't work well with the most popular BUIS in the known universe.

I think there are videos showing how to file off a little plastic to allow the Magpul sight to slip on, so it may not be a deal breaker.

When I had an Eotech, the magnifier, rear flip up sight and red dot all fit on the upper receiver.

(Philadelphia County)

Looks like there are ways to make BUIS, magnifier and dot fit on the receiver, especially with a cantilever mount: https://www.google.com/search?q=red+...in&safe=active

(Philadelphia County)

I just asked Aero and they said the Quantum is the only handguard that's not compatible with the MBUS without modification. So I guess it's g2g for the Atlas.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mtgadsden View Post
    I just asked Aero and they said the Quantum is the only handguard that's not compatible with the MBUS without modification. So I guess it's g2g for the Atlas.
    Cool beans. Good to know - I was looking at their blems for a potential future build.
    That wouldn't stop me from buying a quality rail, but nice to know that the other rails don't have that issue.

(Philadelphia County)

When dealing with really thin handguards like this, how much of an issue is heat?