Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: New PA LTCF Holder - Vehicle Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    On the road - bad reception. Re PA law (only ) others I do not know
    Having a firearm (handgun)’loaded or unloaded is acceptable under only a few exceptions - as stated in pa firearm laws - I am. Long guns never loaded- no exceptions
    Not sure if these are all. I am not a lawyer ....To a range and back no stops - gun store to sell or fix (no stops)- gun class -(no stops) shooting range (no stops) Cannot drive around with a gun just to go To Walmart for example. Concealed means in the vehicle not in the open as open carry on foot. You cannot just carry an unloaded gun thinking it’s ok without a ltcf.
    Regardless of loaded /unloaded Then there are transport laws from one abode to another ie summer home The books are free at various state reps offices
    Again, what was incorrect about my statement?

Concealed does NOT mean.....in a vehicle. The wording is concealed on or about ones person OR in a vehicle. A firearm in a vehicle is just that......in a vehicle. It is neither concealed nor not concealed. It is in a vehicle. For it to be loaded in a vehicle, the person must possess a LTCF. As I said in my previous statement, a LTCF is not needed to transport the unloaded firearm in certain circumstances.

The term “certain circumstances” can be fully understood by reading the exceptions to needing a LTCF.

So, please elaborate on what I said that is not correct.

(Allegheny County)

Whatever Just do what you think is right I am referring to op question re vehicle and note the exceptions without a ltcf. Unloaded is not one of the exceptions
    “ a firearm in a vehicle is not concealed “. Yes it is. * once a firearm enters a vehicle it is considered concealed - without a ltcf you have the exceptions (unloaded only) that I listed which are acceptable without a LTCF
    Last edited by Just1more; April 25th, 2019 at 10:09 AM.

(Luzerne County)

Whatever Just do what you think is right I am referring to op question re vehicle and note the exceptions without a ltcf. Unloaded is not one of the exceptions
    “ a firearm in a vehicle is not concealed “. Yes it is
    First, the firearm is NOT concealed by merely being in the vehicle. Here is the section;

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

Notice is mentions the firearm being IN THE VEHICLE and concealed being on or about the person. A firearm in a vehicle is not "concealed". It can only be concealed on or about a person.

Second, unloaded or not loaded is DEFINITELY a requirement for legally transporting a firearm without having a LTCF or being exempt (LE, military, etc).

If you are going to say something I said is incorrect..........then prove it.

I did not mean to open up a can of worms.

A lot of good information, and I appreciate it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JG93 View Post

This is Poofa.
    Arguments are just how we do things here
    It's no big thing, nothing to do with you.
    If you really want to see ruffled feathers ask if 9mm is better than 45cal.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    This is Poofa.
    You’re wrong.

Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JG93 View Post

The can of worms is the law and you didn’t open that.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    First, the firearm is NOT concealed by merely being in the vehicle. Here is the section;

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

Notice is mentions the firearm being IN THE VEHICLE and concealed being on or about the person. A firearm in a vehicle is not "concealed". It can only be concealed on or about a person.

Second, unloaded or not loaded is DEFINITELY a requirement for legally transporting a firearm without having a LTCF or being exempt (LE, military, etc).

If you are going to say something I said is incorrect..........then prove it.
    BEST place to learn the laws is to read them from the law book. Not on here - everyone has their “opinions” and cannot be taken as gospel. That’s my best answer to you & anyone else looking for answers

To the OP. Here is an perfect example of how the law is taken differently by members of the firearm community - we all believe our answer is right but we all cannot be. Take this thread with a grain of salt (-:
    Last edited by Just1more; April 25th, 2019 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Add

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    This is Poofa.
    9mm vs. .45 cal.; clip vs. magazine; bullet vs. cartridge - take your pick, they're all good for 17+ comments.

(Lycoming County)

BEST place to learn the laws is to read them from the law book. Not on here - everyone has their “opinions” and cannot be taken as gospel. That’s my best answer to you & anyone else looking for answers

To the OP. Here is an perfect example of how the law is taken differently by members of the firearm community - we all believe our answer is right but we all cannot be. Take this thread with a grain of salt (-:
    Steve in PA posted the actual statute. He's right, the law is separated into "carries a firearm in any vehicle" and "concealed on or about ones person". It's been hashed out and gone over many times on here and commented on by actual lawyers. They are two different parts of the same statute and is why you can't just drive around with a gun, get out and open carry without having the ltcf. That's not really opinion at this point, it's fact based on the wording of the statute and case law.

One thing I always liked about this site is we generally get the legal stuff correct when people ask questions. Usually with citation of the actual law. That's the best way to do it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast