Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default NJ Residents going to Range in PA

My cousins live/legally own firearms (handguns and rifles) in NJ. All would like to come into PA and go to a local range with me. In NJ, firearms and ammunition must be kept separate and locked when transporting to/from a range. I assume this would be the same when transporting across State line into PA? Anyone know any specific rules regarding NJ residents?

Thanks!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: NJ Residents going to Range in PA

Pretty sure its the same, locked in a case and you are good to go in PA. Just be sure leaving/coming from NJ they follow the exemption rules for transport.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

The short answer is that is that is fine. Not quite as strict here, but if the firearms are transported OK for NJ I don't see an issue for Pa. Keep in mind that handguns can only be transported directly to and from the range without a LTCF or other accepted license.

Traveling to or from a range is a specific exemption under NJ law. Yes, ammo and firearms should be kept separate, but that can be simply in different sections of your range bag. If firearms are in a case or a wrapped package, there is no requirement that they, or the ammo be locked. Only if the weapon is not contained within some sort of package or container then it is required to be locked in the trunk. Only reasonable deviations from your route of travel to and from the range are allowed.

No real problem traveling to a range in PA from NJ. Enjoy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

No problem. Just go directly to and from home to range with firearms locked and ammo separate and you'll be ok for both states.

For more practical protection against any trouble, keep everything in a trunk (or hidden from plain sight if an SUV) - ammo, targets, brass, accessories, etc. Do not volunteer any information if stopped by law enforcement. Do not consent to any searches.

The NJ transportation exemption does not include hollow points. The only exemption for those are from place of purchase to home if I recall.

I'm pretty sure nobody from NJ is allowed to shoot in PA. Especially at the public ranges. I believe this applies to people from NY as well.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I'm pretty sure nobody from NJ is allowed to shoot in PA. Especially at the public ranges. I believe this applies to people from NY as well.
    Uh say what? IDK about SGL ranges but I am a member of a couple PA ranges and never had an issue.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    Uh say what? IDK about SGL ranges but I am a member of a couple PA ranges and never had an issue.
    I believe it was sarcasm. I think he's referencing the many stories of NJ and NY folks coming to PA state game land or other public ranges on weekends, not following rules or trashing them.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by PHLJJS View Post
    I believe it was sarcasm. I think he's referencing the many stories of NJ and NY folks coming to PA state game land or other public ranges on weekends, not following rules or trashing them.
    Gotcha, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by PHLJJS View Post
    Eh, turnabout is fair play. Weekdays in NY are filled with PA drivers going under the speed limit in the left lane (aka not following the rules) and wondering why everyone seems so irate.

You come push those folks over to the right and I'll come clean your range for you

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast