Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Showdown.......(more like a comparison)

Today I finally had the time to get to a place called Morr Outdoors and rent their Python. I made sure to bring my Smith & Wesson model 586 with a 1980 production. I admit I can’t get the idea of owning a Python out of my head and figured I could do some side-by-side comparison until that time arrives. I put about 100 rounds through each gun alternating between the two after every six shots. I thought it was going to be a shame that I could only get on the 15 yard pistol range as I wanted to get some longer distance shots in but it didn’t turn out to be a bad thing since the Colts windage was proving to be too far left for me anyway. I do admit that most of my guns are adjusted at the rear sight pretty far to the right side since I shoot with my right hand and am left eye dominant. I shot at my max available distance, close distance and everything in between, single and double action as well.

To be fair I would say that I have an excellent example Smith and Wesson and the Colt is a rental gun with more rounds that can probably be counted and in need of some definite TLC. Nonetheless it did prove to be an excellent shooter with great accuracy. The groups were tight and any flyers were the fault of my own. It’s no surprise that the Python had a much smoother action. About halfway through the session I actually thought my Smith and Wesson was getting a little gummed up when I would cock the hammer which has never happened before. The fact is that it was all in my head since the snakes action was just so smooth.

I think part of me was hoping I wouldn’t like the Python so I could go back to searching for older Smith and Wesson‘s but this little trip confirmed what most of you Colt owners already know. It is indeed an excellent revolver I’m just not sure I like it 1500 dollars more than a good S&W. As a matter fact, if I offered, I don’t think I would make an even swap of my 586 for a Python. I know that makes no sense moneywise but it’s just my gut feeling.

To sum it up the Colt Python is an outstanding performer but so is a good Smith and Wesson. The phrase apples to oranges definitely comes to mind.

Interesting how similar they are in dimensions.

Six shot groups, single action, from about twenty feet.

I’m not sure what finish this is/was but I did noticed the blued cylinder release and hammer.

Last edited by bripro; April 20th, 2019 at 09:39 PM.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Elk County)

Default Re: Showdown.......(more like a comparison)

Python's cylinder revolves the wrong direction . . .

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post

Noah
    Think that one over. Colt revolves into the frame. Smith&Wesson revolves out of the frame. I'm a fanboy of both manufacturers.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Susquehanna County)

I don't have that problem. I learned years ago that the Colt revolver frame is too big for my hand.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Blair County)

Id be happy just to have the King Cobra 4" blue that I sold back in the eighties, still better then any Smith I ever shot. Hard to find blued ones now.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post

Noah
    So does the cylinder release on the colt.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....