Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: FFL transfer

(Centre County)

Default Re: FFL transfer

I understand what many of the responders are saying.

Yes, it is "registered" to the owner by way of him filling out the ATF 4473 when he bought it (IF he bought it at a gun shop - otherwise no). As such, if a trace were initiated by LE for some reason it could lead back to him (Mfg, distributor, gun shop, him).

Yes, a prohibited person could still be carrying an LTCF if they recently became prohibited and the Sheriffs Office or local PD have not confiscated it yet for some reason or the person failed to turn it in as required.

Yes, the sellers liabilities would be mitigated (not necessarily absolved - that would happen in court when he could also be sued by the family of the person injured by the next owner of the firearm (don't put it past a shyster lawyer to try to get money from wherever he can find it))

But I think statistically, the probability of anything bad happening from a FTF transaction with a long gun not going through a FFL is probably pretty low.

That said, it is up to the seller how he wants to sell his property and if the buyer doesn't want to go that route then he is free to decline to buy the firearm.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Monroe County)

But for sure the seller pays any fees in this case.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    That said, it is up to the seller how he wants to sell his property and if the buyer doesn't want to go that route then he is free to decline to buy the firearm.
    This I believe is the key and overriding point. No matter how I or anyone may want to purchase something the way 'we' may want, its ultimately up to the seller to dictate THEIR terms on how they sell THEIR property. The buyer has no more right to demand how someone sells their property than we would have the right to demand where the transaction takes place, or time of day or method of payment.

The buyers only remedy is to decline the purchase which they are free to do if they don't agree with the sellers terms. That's America.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- The Papers of Ben Franklin

(Allegheny County)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Well stated.
    Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Would a prohibited person have a valid LTCF?
    Would having an LTCF prohibit future illegal actions ?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    No, but it's a pretty good indicator. It means someone has passed a background check even more stringent than the one to purchase a firearm.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I have managed to make longarm purchases three ways, with a bill of sale, without a bill of sale, and through an ffl (purchasing in PA as a NJ resident....and Tanners only charged $30, which is lower than what I am told is the typical NJ cost!) There are no "guarantees" either way, but it is still the seller's choice.

(Bucks County)

Its better than the people who want a copy of my id. I'll show the id, I'll sign a bos, but you're not getting a copy of my id.

I think what it comes down to is comfort level..... and the reality is that everyone has a different comfort level when it comes to things like this. And the expectation that everyone should have the same comfort level as me is not reality.

For me I am comfortable with a Pa license, LTCF and a bill of sale. But technically even that is more than is required by law. I think (I’m not positive about this and don’t have time to look it up right now) that as long as you don’t have a reason to think the other person is prohibited you are within the law. Some people could say that I worry to much because I require a license, ltcf and bill of sale.

For me no Pa license I feel uncomfortable and would not sell.
    For me, no ltcf I feel uncomfortable and would not sell.
    For me, no agreement for a bill of sale and I would not sell.
    For me, If the buyer offers me a line of coke before the sale I would not sell.
    For me, If the buyer shares their manifesto about violently overthrowing the government, I would not sell.

But those are for me..... if someone has a lower threshold, as long as they are within the law I would not criticize them.
    If someone has a higher threshold I am not going to criticize because they have to do what is in their comfort level and no one should be trying to get them to go against their comfort level imo.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Would a 4473?

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast