Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Blood test for Lead Levels?

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    What good can come of it? "Don't eat bacon?"

Ive been told that - but i just can't give it up - i suffer.....but it seems worth it at the time...

(Erie County)

Take it for what it is, https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...nt-health-risk

That is just one article. There are a number of articles on heavy metal (not the R'n'R genre) and where it goes in the body. Bones are a collector of these metals, and a bone test (that can't be painful) is a good indicator of lead, or other metal accumulations. But if you are a smoker, or work at a nuclear facility, why worry. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    What happened in your world that this became a priority?
    You sound passionate about this topic.
    -
    I get passionate about things yes - especially when it is something i enjoy -I was told by another instructor his lead regime which is pretty over the top but i think that's far better than apathy. Does anyone realize there is no OSHA involvement in ranges (and they are extremely outdated in their acceptable levels)- they will test a range only if a complaint is made?!
    Re lead - Nothing happened yet - i was tested twice and for other metals in '16 when i was terribly unusually sick for that year. Still have no answers about all the crap that was happening - Ungawa even tried to help me.
    I am most concerned about shooting indoors though.
    Last edited by Just1more; April 20th, 2019 at 09:19 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    I get passionate about things yes - especially when it is something i enjoy -I was told by another instructor his lead regime which is pretty over the top but i think that's far better than apathy. I am also like this with paddling (-: That becomes my summer job which has already partially begun.
    Re lead - Nothing happened yet - i was tested twice and for other metals in '16 when i was terribly unusually sick for that year. Still have no answers about all the crap that was happening - Ungawa even tried to help me.
    I am most concerned about shooting indoors though.
    I am generally very cautious around chemicals and other hazardous materials.
    In my opinion, the risk for average shooters is very low when taking simple precautions.

If shooting indoors use ranges with good ventilation.
    Wash your hands well after shooting, wash clothes and shower when returning home.
    Use nitrile gloves or similar when cleaning guns and handling reloading components.
    Don't handle food or touch your mouth when shooting, cleaning, and handling components.
    Use breathing protection (and disposable suits if needed) when working with hazardous materials in dusty conditions.

The people that are most at risk are those that work in the industry (manufacture, maintenance, range, military) and don't take proper precautions.
    This is consistent with many types of professions that involve constant prolonged exposure to various hazardous materials.

I think it's always good to make sure people are well informed about potential hazards.
    Thanks for posting about it.
    -
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I am generally very cautious around chemicals and other hazardous materials.
    In my opinion, the risk for average shooters is very low when taking simple precautions.

If shooting indoors use ranges with good ventilation.
    Wash your hands well after shooting, wash clothes and shower when returning home.
    Use nitrile gloves or similar when cleaning guns and handling reloading components.
    Don't handle food or touch your mouth when shooting, cleaning, and handling components.
    Use breathing protection (and disposable suits if needed) when working with hazardous materials in dusty conditions.

The people that are most at risk are those that work in the industry (manufacture, maintenance, range, military) and don't take proper precautions.
    This is consistent with many types of professions that involve constant prolonged exposure to various hazardous materials.

I think it's always good to make sure people are well informed about potential hazards.
    Thanks for posting about it.
    -
    Your welcome - I hope that others take heed. Shooting is great fun but comes with its risks not just the risk of being shot but also equally damaging - the hidden sinister dangers of metals exposure.
    Last edited by Just1more; April 20th, 2019 at 11:32 PM.

(York County)

The one thing i still see at some ranges at times weather indoors or out, is shooters picking
    up brass and putting the empty casings in there baseball hats and then move to a collection
    container. Then they put the hat back on there head. That's a NO-NO. The lead from the
    shell casings is deposited into the hair and absorbed into the scalp. Zip lock bags work.
    When you dob wash your hands, etc, at the range. Use tepid water, for hot water opens the
    pores of the skin.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by FUNDAMENTALS View Post
    The one thing i still see at some ranges at times weather indoors or out, is shooters picking
    up brass and putting the empty casings in there baseball hats and then move to a collection
    container. Then they put the hat back on there head. That's a NO-NO. The lead from the
    shell casings is deposited into the hair and absorbed into the scalp. Zip lock bags work.
    When you dob wash your hands, etc, at the range. Use tepid water, for hot water opens the
    pores of the skin.
    My line of work can expose me to high lead levels. Recently I had to see what some say is the top toxicologist in the northeast due to elevated levels. I asked him all kinds of questions concerning lead exposure and his number one concern was not handling it, getting on your skin, or hands and ingesting it, it was the dust and smoke that is inhaled into your lungs from melting, grinding, scraping cleaning etc.. He said that is the quickest and easiest way it can get into your system. So, I would imagine casting lead bullets and shooting them would be a big issue. Would never do anything like that indoors that is for sure.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234