Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Selling Handguns On line

I want to sell one of my hand guns on line at Gun broker or Guns of America. From what I can tell, all I have to do as a seller is make sure that I'm shipping it to a to someone who has a FFL. Does this sound right? 1. Winning bidder sends me a money order. 2. I request a signed copy of the FFL I'm shipping to. 3. Take the gun to Fedex with the signed FFL and ship it to the address of the FFL. The FFL is then responsible for making sure the buyer has a clean record and can actually purchase the gun, correct? Also, do I have to provide a trigger lock? If this turns out to be a nightmare I might just trade it in at a gun store and take a loss. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Default Re: Selling Handguns On line

never trade in if you can sell, that's pretty much correct, I sold one of my 1911s online, I had it shipped from a local gunshop, dealing with FedEx or UPS is more difficult than the whole process, and it cost less seeing as how a FFL can ship through regular US mail.

You recieve funds, take gun your selling to a FFL, have the buyers FFL sent to your shop, they mail gun to FFL your done.

As far as trigger locks are concearned, the dealer making the transfer will usually provide them, or you can go to your local Sheriffs office and get them for free thank to project child safe I like to include them in my sales to lessen the headaches of others.

My outlook on having an FFL do the mailing is this, why bother getting hassled by a mail clerk when I can have a trusted source do the work for me, cost me less, and keep it all 100% legal no questions asked.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Luzerne County)

JDLV4, what does your FFL charge for an outgoing transfer? I have always just shipped myself but thought of using an FFL, especially for handguns.

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    never trade in if you can sell, that's pretty much correct, I sold one of my 1911s online, I had it shipped from a local gunshop, dealing with FedEx or UPS is more difficult than the whole process, and it cost less seeing as how a FFL can ship through regular US mail.

You recieve funds, take gun your selling to a FFL, have the buyers FFL sent to your shop, they mail gun to FFL your done.

As far as trigger locks are concearned, the dealer making the transfer will usually provide them, or you can go to your local Sheriffs office and get them for free thank to project child safe I like to include them in my sales to lessen the headaches of others.

My outlook on having an FFL do the mailing is this, why bother getting hassled by a mail clerk when I can have a trusted source do the work for me, cost me less, and keep it all 100% legal no questions asked.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

I had Kings in King of Prussia do it for me and it was $25 total with $500 worth of insurance on it.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.

(Allegheny County)

An FFL can use USPS to ship to another FFL. The Post Office has "Flat Rate Priority Mail" boxs that you can usually ship a pistol Insured for $400 for around $15 anywhere in the US. If you take it to an FFL it may save you some shipping costs, most likely enough to pay the FFL's fee and you are hassle free. Good luck with your sale.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III