Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Officer will not face criminal charges in New Hope police-involved shooting

Local story that has had a virtual news blackout until now. http://www.wfmz.com/news/southeaster...ing/1068489075

"NEW HOPE, Pa. - The Bucks County district attorney's office has ruled the shooting of a suspect while at a New Hope police station in March was not justified, but excused."

"Weintraub said the law excuses the shooting officer’s conduct from criminal prosecution because of his “honest but mistaken” belief he was deploying his Taser at the time he discharged his service weapon"

"The video appears to show that, with his service firearm in hand, the second officer yelling “Taser!” before shooting Riling in the torso. Riling then appears to fall to the ground and both officers appear to leave the cell."

Stipulating the shootee was not in new Hope celebrating his acceptance to Harvard on a full scholarship, and that New Hope constabulary have to deal with Druggery, Drunkery, and Buggery on a daily basis. And yet..... Some people shouldn't be trusted with lethal weapons.

Steve Martin's old shtick applies: "Well, excuuuuse me!"

(Chester County)

Default Re: Officer will not face criminal charges in New Hope police-involved shooting

They retired Barney Fife to get him out of the way. I hope guy sues the piss out of that moron.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Chester County)

Default Re: Officer will not face criminal charges in New Hope police-involved shooting

Gross negligence should have consequences larger than retirement.

(Montgomery County)

That was hard to watch, even with the guy being a complete asshole.
    If I was the other cop I would be angry as hell.
    Could have just as easily shot the cop or got him on a ricochet.
    -
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Lancaster County)

Does this mean that people that honestly believed the gun was unloaded when they shot someone should be released from prison for their sentences of manslaughter due to negligence?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    I hope guy sues the piss out of that moron.
    He should. The problem is, the taxpayers will foot the bill,
    unless he sues him civilly (if he can).

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Does this mean that people that honestly believed the gun was unloaded when they shot someone should be released from prison for their sentences of manslaughter due to negligence?
    That is what irks me the most. The same DA will try and ram it up the butt and break it off if this happened to a non-LEO.

The fact that he was wearing his TASER in a location that is a violation of department policy is going to bite him in the ass big time! As well as the chief and who ever is the TASER Instructor. Big civil lawsuit heading their way!

I'm a TASER Instructor for my department and no one is allowed to wear it on the same side as their firearm.

(Philadelphia County)

I heard that the officer retired a few days after the incident.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Bucks County)

Do away with gun. Issue only TASERs.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    That is what irks me the most. The same DA will try and ram it up the butt and break it off if this happened to a non-LEO.

The fact that he was wearing his TASER in a location that is a violation of department policy is going to bite him in the ass big time! As well as the chief and who ever is the TASER Instructor. Big civil lawsuit heading their way!

I'm a TASER Instructor for my department and no one is allowed to wear it on the same side as their firearm.
    Tasers are crap. Should be replaced with a cutlass. Tasers don’t always work. Loping an arm off does.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast