Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: Officer will not face criminal charges in New Hope police-involved shooting

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I wonder if DA Weintraub would excuse a private citizen’s conduct from criminal prosecution, because of their “honest but mistaken” beliefs, when a firearm is involved?

If he was carrying a 1911, this would never have happened. Steel doesn't feel like a taser.

These are the news articles that I keep printed and available for an attorney that might need to assist me. It is pretty easy to go on the offensive regarding the DA's bias against the "average Joe."

Allow the DA to explain why an officer with years of experience and hours of training can have "honest but mistaken" beliefs, but a citizen cannot.

Default Re: Officer will not face criminal charges in New Hope police-involved shooting

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Does this mean that people that honestly believed the gun was unloaded when they shot someone should be released from prison for their sentences of manslaughter due to negligence?
    Dunno. Do you have the tin badge?

Most of us wouldnt be in this situation (unless of course you're in the process of kidnapping someone or it's Thursday night and this is your and the missus "thing"). We wouldnt be processing an arrestee. And if we were, accommodations would be made like training and policy that would address issues like this and mitigate the use of deadly force. This being blatantly swept under the rug undermines the legitimacy of the law and puts the public as well as LE at risk.
    Last edited by spacemanvic; April 17th, 2019 at 12:01 PM.
    Hold the Line...

Quote Originally Posted by Pag23 View Post
    And the cop retired just before the announcement ...imagine that... Gets full pension and benefits. He might have been a great officer to the dept and the community but bad mistake on his end.

If that cop always wore his Taser on his gun side and the dept knew about it, and if there was a policy against it..... I see a civil negligence lawsuit.
    Thats the kind of bullshit that makes people understand the law isnt the law. Did his training cover the placement of the taser in relation to the firearm so that phuckups like this dont happen (or at least are limited)? Is his department culpable if this wasnt addressed? How is it that the town of No Hope is able to dismiss him so quickly yet not be liable for their agents actions? How is the allowable use of deadly force defined in the area this occurred?
    Last edited by spacemanvic; April 17th, 2019 at 11:53 AM.
    Hold the Line...

(Luzerne County)

While this took place in Arizona, this is exactly what I was talking about with a non-LE being charged. While PA did have the "non-intent" clause, I'm pretty sure this father didn't intend to shoot his kid. I don't know if Arizona has the same "non-intent" clause in their law.

Arizona man arrested in accidental shooting of daughter, 6, as he 'was teaching her gun safety': cops

https://www.foxnews.com/us/arizona-m...ental-shooting

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    It is.
    No Ho.. I mean New Hope has been a vortex for artists, musicians and workin' the other side of the streeters for 300 years.
    Maybe in the 60's and 70's but no more. it's now yuppies, and fringe groups paying outrageous prices, trying to be trendy.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Maybe in the 60's and 70's but no more. it's now yuppies, and fringe groups paying outrageous prices, trying to be trendy.
    True, but it is still Eastern PA's version of Provincetown.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    While this took place in Arizona, this is exactly what I was talking about with a non-LE being charged. While PA did have the "non-intent" clause, I'm pretty sure this father didn't intend to shoot his kid. I don't know if Arizona has the same "non-intent" clause in their law.

Arizona man arrested in accidental shooting of daughter, 6, as he 'was teaching her gun safety': cops

https://www.foxnews.com/us/arizona-m...ental-shooting
    Part of teaching gun safety is demonstrating what not to do.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123