Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SP5K / PTR 603

(Luzerne County)

Default SP5K / PTR 603

Anybody else out there have or considering purchase of an H&K SP5K or a PTR 603?

Curious about feedback on both ...

(Berks County)

Default Re: SP5K / PTR 603

Sp5k here. Fit/finish excellent. Reliability has not failed yet. Accuracy yes it’s accurate. Ergonomics well it really is an sbr in waiting. I have no stock plans as of now. Mags are expensive. Barrel has no provisions for a can. Cool yeah it’s got tons of that.

Cdnn sports was liquidating them. The after market ones have a bit longer barrel with threads for a can.

Barrel is pressed and pinned so living with an installed barrel is the easy route. I had a cetme from century for decades with too much headspace I couldn’t use (ripped the cases in half) until last year when I sent her off for a new barrel by the guy who used to work for century fixing all their messed up roller locks.

When you go roller HK and the PTRs are the way to go to avoid mistakes and future regrets. (Yes that was a reference to those non monetary plated coins on tv).
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Sp5k here. Fit/finish excellent. Reliability has not failed yet. Accuracy yes it’s accurate. Ergonomics well it really is an sbr in waiting. I have no stock plans as of now. Mags are expensive. Barrel has no provisions for a can. Cool yeah it’s got tons of that.

Cdnn sports was liquidating them. The after market ones have a bit longer barrel with threads for a can.

Barrel is pressed and pinned so living with an installed barrel is the easy route. I had a cetme from century for decades with too much headspace I couldn’t use (ripped the cases in half) until last year when I sent her off for a new barrel by the guy who used to work for century fixing all their messed up roller locks.

When you go roller HK and the PTRs are the way to go to avoid mistakes and future regrets. (Yes that was a reference to those non monetary plated coins on tv).

I appreciate your input.
    Other than some complaints about quick attach for can on earlier PTR products, I haven't heard anything negative about this new 603.
    I understand parts are pretty much interchangeable with SP5K.
    I would prefer the H&K, but for the life of me I can't figure out why they don't have a threaded barrel ... and the cost to install one will likely add $850/900 to initial $2500 outlay.
    The PTR comes with a threaded and quick attach barrel for $1650-1700 - about half of what H&K will involve.

Yesterday, my dealer called the H&K rep asking if there is any truth to the rumor that the current SP5K was being discontinued - a loud abrupt "NO!" and a chuckle was the response.
    Also asked if there was a new model coming with a threaded barrel - "Nothing I am aware of ... but it is hard to get any info from Germany".
    But, I didn't really expect any different response on last question!

So quandry remains ... what to do/which to buy???

(Berks County)

H&K couldn't care less about the civilian market.

You might consider contacting Jeff Walters at Parabellum Combat Systems. They have an excellent reputation for MP5 builds using RCS barrels. I believe a full size MP5 from them is about $1800, a K/N around $2400. Zenith/MKE has been well regarded in the past. I just bought a Zenith RS and it looks good, but others are having some issues with guns from this latest shipment. I don't know if there are any left now though.

(Montgomery County)

My son Tom picked this up about 8 years ago for $2,300 and 9 mags. It was a consignment gun at a local Gun Store and the owner said he only put 1 or 2 mags through it. It was AS New.

Here is Tom shooting his HK with one of his reg. sears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGKlbKXvjII

(Luzerne County)

I appreciate the referral - looks like PCS will be a valuable contact. Thank You!

(Luzerne County)

Full auto ... I am very jealous of Tom!!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mokoitis View Post
    I appreciate your input.
    Other than some complaints about quick attach for can on earlier PTR products, I haven't heard anything negative about this new 603.
    I understand parts are pretty much interchangeable with SP5K.
    I would prefer the H&K, but for the life of me I can't figure out why they don't have a threaded barrel ... and the cost to install one will likely add $850/900 to initial $2500 outlay.
    The PTR comes with a threaded and quick attach barrel for $1650-1700 - about half of what H&K will involve.

Yesterday, my dealer called the H&K rep asking if there is any truth to the rumor that the current SP5K was being discontinued - a loud abrupt "NO!" and a chuckle was the response.
    Also asked if there was a new model coming with a threaded barrel - "Nothing I am aware of ... but it is hard to get any info from Germany".
    But, I didn't really expect any different response on last question!

So quandry remains ... what to do/which to buy???
    Going to buy a can, PTR. Not going to buy a can HK. Going to buy both, HK first, I don’t trust them not discontinuing. HK will always sell for more just because. PTR is the better value. That’s the conundrum .

(Berks County)

Oh yeah. I own the sp5k and still want the PTR, so there is that. Probably would work in reverse too.

(Luzerne County)

Gunsnwater, "the better value" comment is the conclusion I have been leaning towards ... PTR.
    BUT, I still want the H&K, too.
    Me thinks I will be following you in reverse!!

Thanks again for your input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast