Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 1911 Slide Auto Forward

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Well you have to examine the slide stop dimple and the plunger and spring. Is the dimple shallow or the plunger worn or short? Is the spring weak? Also how much vertical slop does the slide have? Are you lifting the slide out of engagement with the stop? Don't throw parts at it until you figure out the engagement issues. One last thing is the recoil spring, they need changing after awhile.
    ^^^ THIS!!!^^^

Lots of 1911 owners neglect to clean and maintain the slide lock/thumb safety tube and spring. Make sure the ends of the plungers are rounded and polished (not rough). Make sure spring isn't kinked. Clean tube with pipe cleaners. With the slide off , make sure the slide lock moves freely without the mag and lifts with an empty mag. Slide lock rear face should be flat and smooth.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

A note on the plunger spring- it is supposed be offset near the middle (it looks like it's kinked).
    The offset is supposed to be in there, although on most aftermarket guns it's not.
    The purpose of the offset is to keep the spring from launching out of the tube and getting lost.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Allegheny County)

A picture of the slide locked back from an empty magazine, the slide stop, and the plunger

https://imgur.com/a/RTcAjSO

(Bucks County)

So far, so good.
    Next thing is detail strip and clean.

Disassemble the thumblock, remove the spring and plunger assembly.
    Thoroughly clean the "tombstone" (the cut in the frame), clean the inside of the plunger tube. You do not need to separate the spring from the plungers on each end.
    Make sure the plunger tube is tight by trying to wiggle it. If it moves, even in the slightest it needs to be replaced or restaked.

Reassemble and test it.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by azuredragon View Post
    A picture of the slide locked back from an empty magazine, the slide stop, and the plunger

https://imgur.com/a/RTcAjSO
    Hey, great pictures. Looks ok. Like cdi said, clean it and I would go with a new recoil spring. By the way points given for no idiot scratch. I would think the plunger could be sticking out a hair more. You have full engagement lock to slide and doesn’t look worn.

I really want high speed camera, you could catch exactly what’s happening on something like this. $$$$$
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Allegheny County)

I'll disassemble the plunger assembly and clean it up! If all else fails, would it be beneficial to put a small dimple on the slide stop where the plunger sits as it locks the slide back? Kinda like the dimple preventing premature slide lock but positioned lower. Thanks all!

(Adams County)

I am sure Congress is actively working on these types of guns with features that speed up the process of reloading and getting back into the fire fight. Is this a key attribute of being fully semi-automatic?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by azuredragon View Post
    I'll disassemble the plunger assembly and clean it up! If all else fails, would it be beneficial to put a small dimple on the slide stop where the plunger sits as it locks the slide back? Kinda like the dimple preventing premature slide lock but positioned lower. Thanks all!
    That may help the issue.
    You will need to locate the dimple with considerable precision, use a mill or precision drill press if possible.
    The line wear the finish has worn off is your guide post for drilling the dimple.

There used to be a specially made long shank drill bit just for this purpose.
    It was sold by Brownell's. It used the plunger tube as a guide. I think I have one in a drawer around here somewhere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12