Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Traveling To South Carolina for a Wedding

Hopefully the correct place to post this.

I'm traveling to South Carolina in a few weeks to attend a friend's wedding and want to travel with my carry weapon. The trip route takes me through PA, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, and then South Carolina.

From the NRA website, I see that Virginia and North Carolina honor my LTCF, but South Carolina does not. South Carolina also does not appear to honor any non-residence permits, so non-resident permits are out of the option for SC. From my limited knowledge, I believe that traveling through Maryland, as I do not plan to stop, is legal to keep my firearm on me, but I am not sure how South Carolina handles overnight stays with firearms. The trip will be two nights in South Carolina, I do not plan to carry the firearm on me while inside the state aside from transporting from vehicle to hotel room and visa-versa.

I found this article on it, but it doesn't fully answer my question about traveling with a firearm. Does anyone have some information carrying laws for South Carolina?
    Ideally, I would like to be able to keep it loaded in my lockable glovebox, but even if I'm able to keep it in my glovebox unloaded would be acceptable.

Article: https://www.charlestonlaw.net/handgu...outh-carolina/

Edit: Added West Virginia due to forgetting I would pass through it first.
    Last edited by BlueTrooper; April 9th, 2019 at 10:25 AM.
    Cyber-Security, Physical Security, Personal Protection. All as important as the others.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Traveling To South Carolina for a Wedding

Research FOPA. Do NOT carry on you through Maryland or we won't be hearing from you for a couple years!

SC has some limited allowances in the car, but not on your person. https://www.usacarry.com/ is a good resource.
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

(Lehigh County)

Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Montgomery County)

I use this one: https://www.gunlawguide.com/product/e-book/
    $15 download, worth every penny.

OP, your information seems a bit off.
    Please read up on the travel laws.
    Wouldn't want to lose you.
    Bern-
    -
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTrooper View Post
    Hopefully the correct place to post this.

I'm traveling to South Carolina in a few weeks to attend a friend's wedding and want to travel with my carry weapon. The trip route takes me through PA, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, and then South Carolina.

From the NRA website, I see that Virginia and North Carolina honor my LTCF, but South Carolina does not. South Carolina also does not appear to honor any non-residence permits, so non-resident permits are out of the option for SC. From my limited knowledge, I believe that traveling through Maryland, as I do not plan to stop, is legal to keep my firearm on me, but I am not sure how South Carolina handles overnight stays with firearms. The trip will be two nights in South Carolina, I do not plan to carry the firearm on me while inside the state aside from transporting from vehicle to hotel room and visa-versa.

I found this article on it, but it doesn't fully answer my question about traveling with a firearm. Does anyone have some information carrying laws for South Carolina?
    Ideally, I would like to be able to keep it loaded in my lockable glovebox, but even if I'm able to keep it in my glovebox unloaded would be acceptable.

Article: https://www.charlestonlaw.net/handgu...outh-carolina/
    IANAL, but I would strongly recommend leaving your firearms home, as you are not allowed by law to have a firearm in SC, except by Federal Transport laws. Since SC is your destination, not a state you are traveling through, on your way to somewhere you may legally possess a firearm ( e.g. reciprocal state) the transport laws would not cover you. Just my opinion. And definitely, do not carry through MD. Lock everything up, unloaded, in your trunk.

(Lycoming County)

Thank you for your replies. I had thought MD loosened up with regards to the federal travel laws but I guess not.

I shall proceed to travel unarmed then.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    IANAL, but I would strongly recommend leaving your firearms home, as you are not allowed by law to have a firearm in SC, except by Federal Transport laws. Since SC is your destination, not a state you are traveling through, on your way to somewhere you may legally possess a firearm ( e.g. reciprocal state) the transport laws would not cover you. Just my opinion. And definitely, do not carry through MD. Lock everything up, unloaded, in your trunk.
    That doesn't appear to be true. SC law states you're allowed to have a loaded handgun in certain areas of your vehicle (glove box, console stick out to me). What isn't clear though is whether you can transport it into/out of you hotel. Looks like no. In which case hopefully you have a locking glove box.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTrooper View Post
    Thank you for your replies. I had thought MD loosened up with regards to the federal travel laws but I guess not.

I shall proceed to travel unarmed then.
    See above. A handgun in the parking lot or a few miles away is better than a few states away. As long as you can properly secure it.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    This is not accurate. You are not forbidden from having a firearm in South Carolina (constitution?). They simply do recognize your license to carry. This does not mean you can not legally possess a firearm in your dwelling, and it does not negate FOPA.

(Allegheny County)

I didn't see anything regarding transporting through the state without stopping - did i miss it. pretty confusing.

(Lycoming County)

It does appear if I travel through Maryland, land of the not-free, I have to stop at PA Border unload and lock the firearm up in the trunk, then travel through Maryland and stop in Virginia and then I can load back up and carry the firearm upon my person until SC Boarder.

Upon the SC boarder, I'm not sure if I would be able to store the firearm in my glovebox loaded or if I need to unload it and keep it locked in my trunk like I would have done for Maryland.
    Cyber-Security, Physical Security, Personal Protection. All as important as the others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast