Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Traveling To South Carolina for a Wedding

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Are you a member of USSCA or US Law shield? They have lawyers on staff who should be able to give you solid information.
    I was not, but I am now. The coverage provided by USCCA looks really good plus, since I'll be traveling more in the upcoming year it'll be a good investment insurance wise incase something does happen.

(Allegheny County)

Man, am I glad I live in western PA, and don't have to worry about driving through MD when traveling south!

SC is no big deal. Just move the firearm to the glovebox or center console before you cross the border. They also allow you to move it from the car to your hotel. Obviously, I recommend being discrete when you do.

Somewhere in NC, I take the gun off my hip (still in the holster) and slide it in the center console, or hand it to the wife to put in the glovebox. Then reverse it once into Georgia if I'm traveling through.

In the vehicle:
    SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

-------

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance. If the person has been issued a concealed weapon permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle's passenger compartment; or

Going from vehicle to hotel:
    SECTION 23-31-230. Carrying concealed weapons between automobile and accommodation.

Notwithstanding any provision of law, any person may carry a concealable weapon from an automobile or other motorized conveyance to a room or other accommodation he has rented and upon which an accommodations tax has been paid.

Found here - https://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.php#16-23-20

MD is a whole other ball of wax. If I have to travel through MD (which I can usually avoid), I stop somewhere other than a rest stop, such as a a gas station or restaurant, unload/separate gun and ammo, and transfer them to separate lockboxes. Less chance of LEO hassling me there, than at a rest stop at the border.

IANAL - so do your own research to be safe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123