Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Reloading question

Your pressure is extremely low. The firing pin indent is fully in and the round edges of the primers are just like you started with when you seated them. I would not reduce the charge of 4895. Its already too low and its not what your problem is.

You do have a problem with commercial rounds? If you do check your firing pin protrusion. If not switch to a harder primer like the CCI 41.

Make sure your primers are seated slightly below flush when you seat them. Use a straight edge on the base and the primer should be seated a few thousandths below the case. Not crushed in too far but definitely not sticking out.

And you don't have to ream your primer pockets that much (and you don't have to ream commercial). Just light enough to remove the crimp. Again this is not your problem but you want the increased surface area if you do start getting high pressure loads.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Your pressure is extremely low. The firing pin indent is fully in and the round edges of the primers are just like you started with when you seated them. I would not reduce the charge of 4895. Its already too low and its not what your problem is.

You do have a problem with commercial rounds? If you do check your firing pin protrusion. If not switch to a harder primer like the CCI 41.

Make sure your primers are seated slightly below flush when you seat them. Use a straight edge on the base and the primer should be seated a few thousandths below the case. Not crushed in too far but definitely not sticking out.

And you don't have to ream your primer pockets that much (and you don't have to ream commercial). Just light enough to remove the crimp. Again this is not your problem but you want the increased surface area if you do start getting high pressure loads.
    No issues with commercial rounds, primers look normal.

Haven't put a straight edge across them but I've been going by feel. Even though my finger tips are calloused from work I still somehow have good sensitivity in them & I did catch a few primers that were a bit "proud". Im going to pick up either a Lyman handheld primer reamer or the RCBS one that gets chucked in a station or drill for the 5.56 casings I have

I don't know if I mentioned this previously but I'm currently using Remington small rifle primers, I believe it's the 6 1/2 but the boxes are in my garage and I'm not 100% sure. I don't think it's the primers though since both casings in the picture I posted are my reloads using the same primers. I'll check seating depth on the primers in the afternoon though. I have a digital caliper for measuring OAL & it'll give reading down to 1/2 thou. If I remember correctly, the primers should be about .005-.008 below flush

(Bucks County)

On Hodgdon's published burn rate chart, H4895 is # 89, IMR4895 is # 91
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post

Pretty sure you're right. I shot my loads again today some were fine, others were pierced. All the same load & @ 2.200 OAL. No other pressure signs so I put the 4 100ct boxes of Remington 6 1/2's in the classifieds hoping someone will take pity on me & trade me for 3 boxes of the "good stuff". I'll try talking to the manager at gander and see what they have. Sadly, they're one of the only places I know of in the area that has a decent amount of reloading stuff. I'll have to try Heberlings next week & hopefully he won't be busy like today so I can at least get prices from him. I prefer to buy from a small shop but his set up is .... a bit crowded. I did like the Stevens 12ga pump he had though. Might have to take that home at some point

(Bucks County)

Keep the Remington small rifle primers for reloading small pistol cartridges. I did the same thing a couple years ago: bought the Rem standard small rifle primer for .223 only to learn they are prone to piercing under high pressure loads. I’ve used them up for revolver loads.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    Keep the Remington small rifle primers for reloading small pistol cartridges. I did the same thing a couple years ago: bought the Rem standard small rifle primer for .223 only to learn they are prone to piercing under high pressure loads. I’ve used them up for revolver loads.
    I thought it was ill advised to use small rifle in place of small pistol primers. I will be loading for 9mm in the future seeing as how I have most of a 50 Cal can full of brass but I thought there would be a pressure spike using rifle primers & a possible kaboom. Granted the pistol is a Springfield XD duty that SHOULD be a tank but I guess start low & behind a blast shield? Lol

(Lawrence County)

I'm far from an expert but, I always thought the biggest difference in standard rifle primers over pistol was the thicker cup for higher rifle pressures. Many of the loadings for .454/500/ and heavy big bore handgun loads call for rifle primers.
    For those who've never fought for it, the price of freedom shall never be known.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybonez28 View Post
    I thought it was ill advised to use small rifle in place of small pistol primers. I will be loading for 9mm in the future seeing as how I have most of a 50 Cal can full of brass but I thought there would be a pressure spike using rifle primers & a possible kaboom. Granted the pistol is a Springfield XD duty that SHOULD be a tank but I guess start low & behind a blast shield? Lol
    I researched it in sources I considered reliable and concluded it would be okay for me. If I come across that research in my files I’ll share it here. As I recall it was easy to find the info on the difference between primer types and sizes.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    I researched it in sources I considered reliable and concluded it would be okay for me. If I come across that research in my files I’ll share it here. As I recall it was easy to find the info on the difference between primer types and sizes.
    I haven't dug into it myself but I've been hearing that rifle primers are not only meant to handle higher pressure but also put out more pressure. I'm sure my XD or any well made handgun can deal with it, especially if they're rated for +P. I'll have to get some pistol powder & bullets now & Chrono it. I'll start the same way I did with the AR, Minimum charge & only load 5.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234