Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Question about driving thru DE and MA

Hi, I am going to Gatlinburg TN in May, planning on taking my CCW with me, from Philadelphia I'll be passing Delaware, Maryland, Virginia then finally Tennessee, I know I'll be fine with my LTCF when I got into VA and TN, how about driving thru DE and MA? Is it okay to lock my firearm, magazine, and ammos ALL separate in the trunk? I'm not planning to stop at DE and MA except getting gas for my car if needed.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Question about driving thru DE and MA

Quote Originally Posted by Dllmhgc View Post
    Hi, I am going to Gatlinburg TN in May, planning on taking my CCW with me, from Philadelphia I'll be passing Delaware, Maryland, Virginia then finally Tennessee, I know I'll be fine with my LTCF when I got into VA and TN, how about driving thru DE and MA? Is it okay to lock my firearm, magazine, and ammos ALL separate in the trunk? I'm not planning to stop at DE and MA except getting gas for my car if needed.
    For Delaware I have my Utah carry which covers me in that state...however, double check, because Delaware is an open Cary state without a permit as long as it's visible. Double check open carry.org.....However, even though you're allowed to go through Maryland with it locked and ammo separated in the trunk or back of an suv, I'd find an alternate route possibly going pa turnpike to I81 south and you only go through 10 miles of Maryland and skip Delaware altogether. I assume you're taking i95 south? My advice is take the slightly longer route...it's prettier, almost no chance being stuck in traffic and in the end probably faster.
    When our son went to liberty we went that route because it was actually faster as there was no traffic etc.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    For Delaware I have my Utah carry which covers me in that state...however, double check, because Delaware is an open Cary state without a permit as long as it's visible. Double check open carry.org.....However, even though you're allowed to go through Maryland with it locked and ammo separated in the trunk or back of an suv, I'd find an alternate route possibly going pa turnpike to I81 south and you only go through 10 miles of Maryland and skip Delaware altogether. I assume you're taking i95 south? My advice is take the slightly longer route...it's prettier, almost no chance being stuck in traffic and in the end probably faster.
    When our son went to liberty we went that route because it was actually faster as there was no traffic etc.
    This, swing west and take 76 to 81 then south bound to TN. You avoid the DC and Baltimore area as a bonus.

You will be in MD shortly as said, but thats how I head south.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Delaware County)

I travel down I-95 alot to Baltimore and DC.
    It sucks.
    The traffic alone would make me take the suggested alternate route.
    God Bless the American Armed Forces, Thank You All.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the route suggestion, as of traffic I should be fine, I'm heading out at night time so my kids can fall asleep in the car , but I wound still do i81 , I don't want any surprise while in DE and MA lol

(Philadelphia County)

Found i81 route on my Google map, good information!

Just wanna make sure , Its legal if firearm , mag, and ammo all locks in three separate case , in the trunk, while going thru no gun state .?

(Lehigh County)

THIS!! Also I-81 takes you right to the Gatlinburg exit, where more Eastern routes require a jog West. Might as well do the Western jog in PA. They often set up speed traps on I-81 in MD so keep it moderate.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

On the other hand, just as a fish inhabits a school for personal protection (by increasing the chances it won't be the one snagged by a predator), I-95 offers the school scenario.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks for the route suggestion, as of traffic I should be fine, I'm heading out at night time so my kids can fall asleep in the car , but I wound still do i81 , I don't want any surprise while in DE and MA lol
    There is no GOOD time for traffic on I-95 from North of Baltimore to Richmond.. it is a rolling parking lot with crazy assholes 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.. some times are worse than others (rush hours) but it is NEVER GOOD

I hate I-95 from CT border all the way to Richmond.. but Baltimore to Richmond is the worst

OP BTW.. Maryland is MD.. MA is Massatwoshits
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Montgomery County)

Found i81 route on my Google map, good information!

Just wanna make sure , Its legal if firearm , mag, and ammo all locks in three separate case , in the trunk, while going thru no gun state .?
    You SHOULD be okay. From wikipedia:

"Safe passage" provision

One of the law's provisions (codified in section 926A of title 18 of the U.S. Code) was that persons traveling from one place to another have a defense for any state firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gasoline), provided that the individual is not otherwise prohibited from possession of a firearm, the firearms and ammunition are not readily accessible, that the firearms are unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Definitions of certain terms in the law include:
    -Transporting. Not staying for any determined length of time. Passing through on the way to some place.

-Unloaded. No ammunition in the firearm. In the case of McDaniel v. Arnold, the courts upheld a conviction based on the interpretation that the accused had a loaded firearm despite not having a round in the chambered position.

-Not readily accessible. There are no clear court decisions or interpretations available but this term is widely regarded as meaning Not capable of being reached quickly for operation.

-Locked container. A hard-sided container that is locked such as to prevent unauthorized users from gaining access.
    Follow FOPA safe passage, don't even stop for gas (easy to do especially on 81), and don't volunteer any information or consent to any searches. Remember, this is technically only a 'defense'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast