Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Profiling - CC vs Open: What Difference

Hi all! New to forum, and appreciate your thoughts. I have been a CC for about 8 years. Never an issue (thankfully), but keep myself prepared (actively shoot/read etc.).

My question for you is this: I was told by a few that “profiling” your weapon (through a tight shirt for instance) is “taboo”. Has anyone heard comments like this?

My thoughts are that if this were illegal, then why not just Open Carry where applicable? What -if any - difference does this make, especially if Open Carry supersedes this in the first place? Is there any truth to this “profiling” rule or thought?

Just curious here. When I conceal carry, I do my best not to advertise, but I can understand the need at times why one would actually PREFER to profile.

Thanks again for your views.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Profiling - CC vs Open: What Difference

Most of us call it "printing" when you can see the outline of the gun through clothing.

How big of a deal it is for your gun to print is another matter entirely. That depends on how big of a deal for you it would be if discovered.

This is why some folks carry a tiny gun at work and a larger one when going about the rest of their day.

My Glock 43 rides in a front jean pocket. All my jeans wear a vaguely gun shaped mark on that pocket. Nobody seems to notice.

Printing is not illegal in PA or "taboo" . FYI: Your LTCF covers both concealed and open carry. I rarely open carry but often concealed carry with a outside the waste band holster and only a T-shirt over it which leaves a small bulge more then a print of a handgun, and I've never had a single person say a word and I've never caught anyone staring at me funny.

There are states that have a concealed carry only law and that means fully concealed at all times, although I'm unsure if that includes printing.

Welcome to the forums.
    Last edited by Hodgie; April 2nd, 2019 at 09:31 AM.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Printing is not illegal in PA or "taboo" . FYI: Your LTCF covers both concealed and open carry. I rarely open carry but often concealed carry with a outside the waste band holster and only a T-shirt over it which leaves a small bulge more then a print of a handgun, and I've never had a single person say a word and I've never caught anyone staring at me funny.

There are states that have a concealed carry only law and that means fully concealed at all times, although I'm unsure if that includes printing.

Welcome to the forums.
    Semantic point, your LTCF covers both CC and vehicular transportation, while OC itself does not require any license.

Like somebody said, printing only matters if you're somewhere unfriendly, and it leads to you being made.

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    Semantic point, your LTCF covers both CC and vehicular transportation, while OC itself does not require any license.

Like somebody said, printing only matters if you're somewhere unfriendly, and it leads to you being made.
    Correct, however having the LTCF fully covers open carry while traveling in a vehicle. Lord knows I hate walking everywhere.

Chances are, unless your actively open carrying, no one will notice. Too many sheep with their heads in their phones

Quote Originally Posted by SIGFAN86 View Post
    Chances are, unless your actively open carrying, no one will notice. Too many sheep with their heads in their phones
    I'm not sure most people even notice then especially when your not all sitting still like in a restaurant situation.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post

Except in Philadelphia.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Except in Philadelphia.
    Screw Philadelphia, the constitution is still applicable there, but I digress.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Raintown View Post
    Hi all! New to forum, and appreciate your thoughts. I have been a CC for about 8 years. Never an issue (thankfully), but keep myself prepared (actively shoot/read etc.).

My question for you is this: I was told by a few that “profiling” your weapon (through a tight shirt for instance) is “taboo”. Has anyone heard comments like this?

My thoughts are that if this were illegal, then why not just Open Carry where applicable? What -if any - difference does this make, especially if Open Carry supersedes this in the first place? Is there any truth to this “profiling” rule or thought?

Just curious here. When I conceal carry, I do my best not to advertise, but I can understand the need at times why one would actually PREFER to profile.

Thanks again for your views.
    Everyone pretty much covered it.

I would just add that there are times when a show of force is a benefit, and there are times when the element of surprise is a benefit.
    Most of the time (not always) regular folks that carry will find it beneficial to have the element of surprise if facing a true threat.

Printing (profiling) or flashing reduces your element of surprise when managing a true threat by dangerous people.
    Projecting your carry may get you preemptively attacked instead of ignored during a true life threatening situation.

---

Welcome to the PAFOA.

The easiest way to keep up with the PAFOA threads is by clicking 'Quick Links' and then clicking 'Today's Posts' in the drop down menu.
    You can receive updates of subscribed threads on your 'Settings' page by clicking 'Thread Tools' and then clicking 'Subscribe to this Thread' in the drop down menu.

We need every gun owner to help protect our gun rights by voting pro gun in every election every year.
    Please make sure you are registered to vote here: https://www.pavoterservices.pa.gov/P...plication.aspx
    Pro gun voter guides are posted in PAFOA before every election here: http://forum.pafoa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Please also join the National Rifle Association (NRA) and Gun Owners of America (GOA) to help protect your Second Amendment right to own a gun.
    Join NRA here: https://membership.nra.org/Join/Annuals
    Join GOA here: https://gunowners.org/donate/donations/join/

Best of luck to you.
    Bern-
    -
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast