Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Profiling - CC vs Open: What Difference

Just for several years now I mostly open carry when getting seated into a restaurant and usually with firearm facing out of the aisle.Concealed Carrying gives me the advantages of not being confronted by some spaced out Liberal crying tears for Hillary,or for that matter being totally aware of my surroundings and not being the victim,But I do say being older now and not as agile as I was in 30,40,even 50 I would be O/Cing 90 % of the time.Youth and Health has its advantages .

(Allegheny County)

IANAL - From a legal standpoint, printing is a non-issue in PA. As long as you have your LTCF, it doesn't matter if it prints through your shirt, leaves a bulge, or half the firearm is plainly visible.

The only person it really matters to is you. If you're uncomfortable with it printing, don't let it. If you're worried about other people seeing in, don't let it print. Me personally, I don't really care, and will often wear IWB, but still tuck my shirt in behind it (I don't own an OWB holster). Most people are too involved in their own little world to even notice.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jaseman View Post
    IANAL - ....................... Most people are too involved in their own little world to even notice.
    I've been CCing for about 6 years or so. The first month or so I was really paranoid of being discovered.
    I could tell there was something in my waistband when I looked in the mirror at home.
    Now, I work all over the place and in many situations.
    On step ladders, extension ladders, in pits, on high reaches and lifts, hanging over roof edges and on and on.
    Usually helping the customer or their employee.
    The people I worked along side of were all over the board from super liberal to flag waving Constitutionalists
    No one has ever mentioned my gun.
    They are not paying attention to me personally but to whatever I am doing instead, if at all.
    To the point made above.
    God Bless the American Armed Forces, Thank You All.

(Jefferson County)

That "printing" thing is from Florida-Stupid folks from back in the day when if your gun was printing, you could get charged for it. ...OC being illegal in FL(except for sporting things), and the gun had to be fully concealed.

In no state where OC is legal is "printing" illegal. ...such would defy logic.

Then you have the "tactically stupid concealment Nazis", who have built a religion out of concealment and a fear of open carry/printing as if it were the snake in the Garden of Eden. These are also the same folks that claim that OC'rs will be attacked first, however statistics prove that those who aren't carrying or appear to not be carrying are chosen to be victims first. ...lions don't like horns.
    Last edited by knight0334; April 3rd, 2019 at 10:49 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    That "printing" thing is from Florida-Stupid folks from back in the day when if your gun was printing, you could get charged for it. ...OC being illegal in FL(except for sporting things), and the gun had to be fully concealed.

I no state where OC is legal is "printing" illegal. ...such would defy logic.

Then you have the "tactically stupid concealment Nazis", who have built a religion out of concealment and a fear of open carry/printing as if it were the snake in the Garden of Eden. These are also the same folks that claim that OC'rs will be attacked first, however statistics prove that those who aren't carrying or appear to not be carrying are chosen to be victims first. ...lions don't like horns.
    Whenever I'm given that line for my open carrying.
    My response is "You're welcome."
    And when they then give me a befuddled look.
    My next response is "If the bad guys go for me first; you have that much more time to run and hide."
    --ET

(York County)

Then you have the "tactically stupid concealment Nazis", who have built a religion out of concealment and a fear of open carry/printing as if it were the snake in the Garden of Eden. These are also the same folks that claim that OC'rs will be attacked first....
    And the same ones that claim the open carry of long rifles in Pittsburgh protests is nothing but blasphemy that will give us a bad name and tossed in jail! It wasn’t, and it didn’t. It spread the word there’s a problem with their politicians breaking the law. In fact, one could argue it convinced three of their council members to vote against the bills.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s a time and place for both OC & CC; please use your best judgement.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    And the same ones that claim the open carry of long rifles in Pittsburgh protests is nothing but blasphemy that will give us a bad name and tossed in jail! It wasn’t, and it didn’t. It spread the word there’s a problem with their politicians breaking the law. In fact, one could argue it convinced three of their council members to vote against the bills.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s a time and place for both OC & CC; please use your best judgement.
    Exactly. There is a time/place for either. Sometimes CC is the better method, sometimes OC is, sometimes it doesn't matter.

Sometimes doing either in defiance is necessary.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Montgomery County)

In no state where OC is legal is "printing" illegal. ...such would defy logic.

A friend of mine was held up at gunpoint on the street.
    The thug demanded his wallet.
    My friend surprised the thug when he drew his pocket carry gun and shot the thug dead.

The dead thug had a long documented history of violence and crime.
    The police actually thanked my friend for getting rid of the thug who had been terrorizing the area for a long time.

Would the habitually violent thug have left my friend alone if he was open carrying?
    Maybe.

Would the habitually violent thug have attacked my friend preemptively if he was open carrying?
    Maybe.

Would my friend have had the opportunity to surprise the thug if he was open carrying?
    No.

I don't have a problem with open carry.
    I think the point of my post is that if you want to open carry then do it deliberately with the proper corresponding mindset.
    If you want to conceal carry then do it with the proper corresponding mindset.

In my opinion, it is counterproductive to conceal carry and then print or flash without knowing it.
    I think this exposure puts you at a disadvantage if you think you are concealed when you are not.
    Defensive posture and strategy is entirely different with a show of force versus the element of surprise.

My point is do what you want, but do it deliberately.
    Armed defense is put at a disadvantage with indeliberate behavior.
    -
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    A friend of mine was held up at gunpoint on the street.
    The thug demanded his wallet.
    My friend surprised the thug when he drew his pocket carry gun and shot the thug dead.

The dead thug had a long documented history of violence and crime.
    The police actually thanked my friend for getting rid of the thug who had been terrorizing the area for a long time.

Would the habitually violent thug have left my friend alone if he was open carrying?
    Maybe.

Would the habitually violent thug have attacked my friend preemptively if he was open carrying?
    Maybe.

Would my friend have had the opportunity to surprise the thug if he was open carrying?
    No.

I don't have a problem with open carry.
    I think the point of my post is that if you want to open carry then do it deliberately with the proper corresponding mindset.
    If you want to conceal carry then do it with the proper corresponding mindset.

In my opinion, it is counterproductive to conceal carry and then print or flash without knowing it.
    I think this exposure puts you at a disadvantage if you think you are concealed when you are not.
    Defensive posture and strategy is entirely different with a show of force versus the element of surprise.

My point is do what you want, but do it deliberately.
    Armed defense is put at a disadvantage with indeliberate behavior.
    -
    <50 known incidences where an OC'r was targeted. Hundreds of thousands of incidences where the victim targeted because they were believed to be unarmed(whether carrying concealed or not).

You are more likely to be targeted and victim to an attack if you appear to be unarmed. You are better off not having been targeted at all than having to deal with the attack even if you are carrying concealed. It is the same argument as why mass shooters go to places where they believe/know that people wont shoot back.

(Montgomery County)

<50 known incidences where an OC'r was targeted. Hundreds of thousands of incidences where the victim targeted because they were believed to be unarmed(whether carrying concealed or not).

You are more likely to be targeted and victim to an attack if you appear to be unarmed. You are better off not having been targeted at all than having to deal with the attack even if you are carrying concealed. It is the same argument as why mass shooters go to places where they believe/know that people wont shoot back.
    Yes, I am not disputing that.
    My point is that if you want to open carry do it deliberately so that it will be most effective, the same with concealed carry.

Unintentional printing and flashing causes unknown open carry which can be a problem if the carrier is unaware of it.
    The carrier is in effect OC'ing when he thinks he is CC'ing, and this can decrease defensibility and effectiveness if postured for CC when actually OC.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast