Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Car carry for PA resident with Out of state non resident permit?

I already know I’m ineligible for a PA LCTF due to a dumb mistake several years ago with marijuana. I do own guns legally and can purchase. My question is, if I were to apply for a non resident permit from a state with more lax requirements, can I use that Permit to carry in my car? The exceptions include car carry for any legally recognized state permit, regardless of reciprocity. And a non resident ccw from another state IS a legal permit, but the non-resident part has me second guessing. Thoughts?

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Car carry for PA resident with Out of state non resident permit?

I believe the answer is no. After Philadelphia cracked down on PA residents using Florida permits, the whole state ended reciprocity unless you are a resident of the state the license was issued.
    I am not a lawyer.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jdambrose94 View Post
    I already know I’m ineligible for a PA LCTF due to a dumb mistake several years ago with marijuana. I do own guns legally and can purchase. My question is, if I were to apply for a non resident permit from a state with more lax requirements, can I use that Permit to carry in my car? The exceptions include car carry for any legally recognized state permit, regardless of reciprocity. And a non resident ccw from another state IS a legal permit, but the non-resident part has me second guessing. Thoughts?
    prohibited is prohibited
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

The law makes no exceptions for residency. It specifically says "Any person."

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    I do not know if there is case law that interprets this differently than I have.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    The law makes no exceptions for residency. It specifically says "Any person."

I do not know if there is case law that interprets this differently than I have.
    Correct me if I am wrong: To get a Non-Resident from any other state, that state will require you to have a resident permit from your state. A few states do make exceptions for states that with Constitutional Carry

I would say a PA resident, who is prohibited, and later caught in PA trying to use a non-resident permit would but up the creek without a paddle
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Click on the Link....

Pennsylvania Superior Court has ruled that PA Residents must have a PA issued Permit to carry in
    Pennsylvania. See Decision Here.
    IANAL. I don't give legal advice. I'm only stating my OPINION.
    (Did I really need to say that on an Internet forum? LOL)

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Boots_DE View Post
    Click on the Link....

Pennsylvania Superior Court has ruled that PA Residents must have a PA issued Permit to carry in
    Pennsylvania. See Decision Here.
    According to page 9 of the ruling, "any person" for exemption 11 does not apply to Pennsylvania residents. It sounds like it does by itself, but then they highlight the "shall" section for Pennsylvania residents.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong: To get a Non-Resident from any other state, that state will require you to have a resident permit from your state. A few states do make exceptions for states that with Constitutional Carry

I would say a PA resident, who is prohibited, and later caught in PA trying to use a non-resident permit would but up the creek without a paddle
    When I lived in NJ I had my FL non resident permit so it wasn't a requirement as of 8 years ago.

(Luzerne County)

A PA resident must have a PA LTCF in order to carry in PA.

A PA resident cannot carry in PA on a license issued to them by another state. The case has been mentioned above.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    A PA resident must have a PA LTCF in order to carry in PA.

A PA resident cannot carry in PA on a license issued to them by another state. The case has been mentioned above.
    Agree, but as with many firearm laws, many LE are not up to speed.

*Since* the court ruling, I've "successfully" presented my UT CCW on occasion, and had it "recognized" as valid for my needs. Of course, I do possess a PA LTCF as well, which I would have presented if needed, but I like to push boundaries and test the knowledge of LE as much as I can. I've found that what they "know" is frequently different than the factual reality contained in statute and case law.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast