Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Car carry for PA resident with Out of state non resident permit?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug570 View Post
    Are there any counties in NY that still issue permits to non residents?
    There are.. but from I understand they are still few and far between:
    Either you are a PA resident, with a PA LTCF, residing in a county that borders a Conservative NY County
    examples:
    PA Tioga - NY Steuben and PA Bradford - NY Chemung
    (PA Susquehanna - NY Broome, the Broome sheriff lied and still refuses)

Or you are a PA resident with a LTCF and work in a Conservative NY County

As I understand it if you own a business in NY you can ask, but mostly they only issue a business premise permit only valid at the business address
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Elk County)

Thanks for the info. I don't live in a boarder county but may try. They can only say no.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug570 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I don't live in a boarder county but may try. They can only say no.
    Good Luck.. I pursued the issue because I live less than 1/2 mile from the border and we do 90% of our shopping on that side of the border.

My wife, who manages 5 dental offices in NY, has made police reports due to death threats from ex employees, tried in 2 counties where the offices are located. One laughed at her the other got down right rude and called her a liar when she said her PA Husband has a valid NYS Pistol License.

NY state law says:
    • An applicant must be a New York State resident

Some counties have amended to:
    • An applicant must be a New York State resident, or own real estate in NYS
    • Non-NYS residents may also qualify if they are primarily employed, or own and operate a business within
    • Counties that do issue non-resident now also require a NYS Non-driver, Non-resident photo ID issued by NYS DMV

Each county is different.
    Prices start at $140 (Non refundable)
    Time to issue starts at 3-4 months.
    Licenses are processed by country sheriffs pistol office and approved by county judge.
    NYS is a "May Issue" state that has zero reciprocation with other states
    NYS Pistol License are not valid in the 5 borough of NYC unless approved and amended by the Chief of Police NYC
    License will list each firearm by Make/Model/Caliber/SN - you must provide your original carbon copy of the 4473 and Firearm/FFL info must be legible or they will not add it to the license. I think the limit of handguns is around 8. I have 3 on mine and they would not add my 1911 as they could not read the FFL number and would not accept a photo copy of the top page.

Licenses are issued for residence or business or CC.. however while not on the books anywhere.. most CC are first issued with hunting and target shooting until you pass an approved
    restricted allows you to possess a handgun in the state (except NYC) and only have it loaded at home, while hunting, or while at the range.
    Article 35 Use of Physical Deadly Force class within 12 months or license issue.. then one can submit asking the judge to amend the license to unrestricted.

Business and Private property "No weapons / Firearms" have the force of law and no warning need to be given before LEO is called and you are arrested for trespass.

At any time the Sheriff / Judge thing you are not up to the standard of owning a handgun they can revoke your Pistol License (see trespass above)

None of this is 100% concrete just trying to point you in the right direction.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    Good Luck.. I pursued the issue because I live less than 1/2 mile from the border and we do 90% of our shopping on that side of the border.

My wife, who manages 5 dental offices in NY, has made police reports due to death threats from ex employees, tried in 2 counties where the offices are located. One laughed at her the other got down right rude and called her a liar when she said her PA Husband has a valid NYS Pistol License.

NY state law says:
    • An applicant must be a New York State resident

Some counties have amended to:
    • An applicant must be a New York State resident, or own real estate in NYS
    • Non-NYS residents may also qualify if they are primarily employed, or own and operate a business within
    • Counties that do issue non-resident now also require a NYS Non-driver, Non-resident photo ID issued by NYS DMV

Each county is different.
    Prices start at $140 (Non refundable)
    Time to issue starts at 3-4 months.
    Licenses are processed by country sheriffs pistol office and approved by county judge.
    NYS is a "May Issue" state that has zero reciprocation with other states
    NYS Pistol License are not valid in the 5 borough of NYC unless approved and amended by the Chief of Police NYC
    License will list each firearm by Make/Model/Caliber/SN - you must provide your original carbon copy of the 4473 and Firearm/FFL info must be legible or they will not add it to the license. I think the limit of handguns is around 8. I have 3 on mine and they would not add my 1911 as they could not read the FFL number and would not accept a photo copy of the top page.

Licenses are issued for residence or business or CC.. however while not on the books anywhere.. most CC are first issued with hunting and target shooting until you pass an approved
    restricted allows you to possess a handgun in the state (except NYC) and only have it loaded at home, while hunting, or while at the range.
    Article 35 Use of Physical Deadly Force class within 12 months or license issue.. then one can submit asking the judge to amend the license to unrestricted.

Business and Private property "No weapons / Firearms" have the force of law and no warning need to be given before LEO is called and you are arrested for trespass.

At any time the Sheriff / Judge thing you are not up to the standard of owning a handgun they can revoke your Pistol License (see trespass above)

None of this is 100% concrete just trying to point you in the right direction.
    Substantially accurate post. Just a couple clarifications:

1) The counties did not amend the NYS pistol law, they just started reading it more carefully. § 400.00 section 3 states, in part, "Applications shall be made and renewed, in the case of a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, to the licensing officer in the city or county, as the case may be, where the applicant resides, is principally employed or has his or her principal place of business as merchant or storekeeper." Section 7 states, in part, "If such license is issued to an alien, or to a person not a citizen of and usually a resident in the state, the licensing officer shall state in the license the particular reason for the issuance and the names of the persons certifying to the good character of the applicant." These two sections make it clear that one does not need to live within the state borders to apply for a license (note: it was previously believed that non-residents could hold licenses, but not apply for them - this new understanding allows them to apply for them, at least in specific circumstances).

Additionally, "resident' is not defined the same throughout the law. For tax purposes, it generally requires physical residency, but there are other spots in the law where possessing property, working, or owning a business within the state all count as a form of residency. I cannot recall the locations of these defintions.

2) Business and private property "no weapons/firearms" do NOT have the force of law in NYS. If I had to guess, I'd bet an instructor from your class told you that, or perhaps someone at the sheriff's office. It's unfortunate, but so many of these instructors give out bad or outright false information (and the sheriff's office still sends packets home with new licensees that are absolutely RIDDLED with falsehoods). One instructor at a class I attended shared an urban legend as God's honest truth... and even worse, held it up as a good example of how one should use their gun in public! (The story was the one about the CCer who had a guy with a knife attempt to rob him. The story says the CCer drew his gun, made the guy strip naked, took his wallet, etc.)

Anyway, just like in PA and the rest of the country, if there is no law against it, it is defaulted to legal. There is no law regarding carrying a firearm past a private property no weapons sign. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise needs to cite the law or sit down and shaddup (but don't get me wrong, that's not what I'm saying to you - you seem to be giving out pretty solid information).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345