Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Car carry for PA resident with Out of state non resident permit?

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    NY? why the Southern counties that claim to issue non-resident to neighboring residents in PA all require a PA LTCF... But these are more rare than hens teeth. .. of which I am lucky to possess one ;-)
    Didn't New Hampshire start that requirement as well?
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

since the thread is still open, even post-ban. i've got two questions that everyone might be able to answer.
    1) you can put a stock on a pistol or is it legal because it has a long barrel now?
    2)you can get a drug charge, be prohibited from an LTCF yet still legally own/purchase firearms?

i was pretty certain those were both no no's and surprised not to find anyone pointing it out.

didn't know it was possible to make a glock uglier than a hipoint but apparently it is, wonder how many hipoints could have been bought with that mess.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    since the thread is still open, even post-ban. i've got two questions that everyone might be able to answer.
    1) you can put a stock on a pistol or is it legal because it has a long barrel now?
    2)you can get a drug charge, be prohibited from an LTCF yet still legally own/purchase firearms?

i was pretty certain those were both no no's and surprised not to find anyone pointing it out.

didn't know it was possible to make a glock uglier than a hipoint but apparently it is, wonder how many hipoints could have been bought with that mess.
    1) Don't know, but regardless of the correct answer, it seems like an easy way to get jammed up and spend a bunch of money.
    2) Correct. I'm absolutely certain of this. All one has to do is read the 2 statutes and note the differences in what things preclude an individual from each act.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    1) Don't know, but regardless of the correct answer, it seems like an easy way to get jammed up and spend a bunch of money.
    2) Correct. I'm absolutely certain of this. All one has to do is read the 2 statutes and note the differences in what things preclude an individual from each act.
    weird.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post

You can convert a pistol into a rifle and back again under the following conditions and order:

1. You change the barrel from the <16" to the 16"+ first.
    2. Then you add the shoulder stock.

To convert back to a handgun:
    1. Remove the shoulder stock first.
    2. Then change the barrel.

In that order you are not in possession of a Short Barreled Rifle.

And, the rifle form must be 26" or longer in overall length so it isn't a SBR either.

You can NEVER convert a rifle into a handgun WITHOUT a SBR tax stamp.

Yes, the conditions of the LTCF is stricter than possession/ownership/purchasing. ANY conviction of the Cosmetics/Drugs law, whether it is a felony, misdemeanor, or SUMMARY is prohibiting for a PA LTCF.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You can convert a pistol into a rifle and back again under the following conditions and order:

And, the rifle form must be 26" or longer in overall length so it isn't a SBR either.

Yes, the conditions of the LTCF is stricter than possession/ownership/purchasing. ANY conviction of the Cosmetics/Drugs law, whether it is a felony, misdemeanor, or SUMMARY is prohibiting for a PA LTCF.
    ah. i knew the rifle/pistol in application to ar pistols but for some reason it didn't click in this case.
    didn't know a summary offense was prohibiting for ltcf.

NY? why the Southern counties that claim to issue non-resident to neighboring residents in PA all require a PA LTCF... But these are more rare than hens teeth. .. of which I am lucky to possess one ;-)
    Don't stop at "NY," keep reading that post:

and NY do not have any such legal requirement (NY in some counties may have it as an extralegal requirement).
    NY is all about the "extra-legals." And, unfortunately, PA is getting there as well. Why, just three years ago I had to threaten to sue your county's sheriff to get him to perform his legally-obligated duty to accept my LTCF renewal application. So in the same way that I don't say that PA does not accept applications from non-residents (despite some sheriffs violating the law by doing so), I also don't say that NY has a requirement for home-state licensing (despite some counties going beyond the law's allowance by doing so).

(Allegheny County)

There have been "pistol to carbine" kits on the market for decades - 1911s, Glocks, and more...

No special permission required.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Elk County)

Are there any counties in NY that still issue permits to non residents?

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

I endorse this answer.

BTW, Federal law prohibits turning any rifle into a pistol; this was an inane part of the 1934 NFA, when they planned to ban all handguns and they banned all cut-down rifles that they expected people to make in response to the handgun ban; the anti's didn't have enough support to pass the NFA with the handgun ban, so they took it out, but LEFT IN the loophole-closing ban on cut-down long guns.

It makes no sense. It's the law, though.

ATF eventually came out and said that it doesn't count if you are "turning it back into a handgun". The law prohibits turning a rifle into a pistol, so on its face, once you make your factory handgun into a long gun, it's now fixed as a long gun, because otherwise "you're making a long gun into a handgun", which is literally true. My opinion is that ATF decided that it's just too hard to prove that a handgun became a rifle and then became a handgun again; that requires a lot of work to catch it at each stage. MUCH easier to just grab the rifle receipt from the factory and the handgun that the citizen made from it, and BOOM you've got a prima facie case.

The law now is that you can swap your handgun back and forth to rifle configuration. I would NOT recommend that someone use this to transport a gun in a car without a license, then sit in the parking lot and swap barrels and remove stocks before OC'ing at the mall. Yes, there's an argument that it's legal. No, it's not better than a PA resident relying on an out-of-state license to carry, and the courts "found" a way to hold that a Pennsylvania resident doesn't count as a "person" or "any person", a holding worthy of the Dred Scott court. (The court capitalized on the defendant being a delusional idiot, then cut and pasted sections from different statutes to legislate a different statute than is found in the Crimes Code.)
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast