Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Colt Peacekeeper?

A friend of mine ran across one at a gun shop way way to expensive for him or me but i am curious as to if anyone knows anything about them i mean i know its a .357 thats about it the owner knew nothing about it but it looks like an awesome gun so in my ever growing curiousity i wanted to go to the experts her. just curious any one know anything about them how many were made or when they were made just curious?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Colt Peacekeeper?

The Peacekeeper was a contemporary introduction with Smith's 586. It was offered as Colt's reasonably priced wheelgun with a basic finish and a lower cost then the Python. It was meant to be the lower end of the price spectrum, a service revolver. I recall as a teenage gun nut tormenting myself whether I wanted a Peacekeeper or a 586 more as the prices were almost identical (NIB for about $220 wholesale). I ended up going with the 586 and to this day have never owned or shot a Peacekeeper and I can't recall the last time I even saw one in person. I'm sure it would be a solid reliable firearm if the price were right. I'm also sure it would be slightly more valuable then many wheelguns these days just since Colt is out of the round gun business.

later,
    AJ

(Westmoreland County)

awesome thanks!

(Philadelphia County)

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=112001059

looks to me like a trooper MKV or king cobra (v frame) with a low grade finish. i haven't seen one of those before.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Montgomery County)

Available in 4 and 6 inch with the parkerized finish. Like stated before, was no where near the quality of the Python. It is basically a Trooper Mk V, with a different finish and name stamp. It was in production for 3 years in the mid 80's so while not common, the Peacekeeper isn't all that rare. Depending on condition, $550 is about as high as I would go. JMHO

Nate

(Bedford County)

Ahhh..."Colt talk" my favorite!

V frame gun like the Trooper as mentioned.

Made 1985-1987.

There are AT LEAST 3 reasonable stories as to how the gun got it's finish...

Best story: Colt polishers were on strike. The guns were blasted and then finished to allow the few polishers to work on the other model guns. Colt also released a few other "blasted" "matte" guns but they were not re-named...thats why this story makes the most sense.

#2 Colt wanted a gun to compete with Rugers' lower prices.

#3 Guns were supposed to ship to the Border Patrol.

The Peacekeeper was still a good gun and the internals are the same as the more expensive Trooper.

These used guns are bringing a decent price, but I have found quite a few in the $500 range....which puts you right in the Ruger GP100 S&W 686 window.

Funny thing, most of the complaints about this gun is the matte finish...and now S&W is putting out matte guns such as the Night Guard and M&P lines.
    I like em!

(Westmoreland County)

I like the gun it feels like a trooper then you pull the trigger its just so cool looking and the story about the strike makes me want more it seems liek a cool piece of history and i am all about guns with a story i guess i would be one of those peopl with a gun that is not that great just cuase its got a good story behind it i bought a police trade in glock 22 instead of a used glock 23 cause i knew the officer who had carried it and thought was cool but anyway its cool. i have just been curious and you guys are awesome at telling me stories thanks!