Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Gun ownership regarding household members

Hello, I just turned 21 and was looking into a handgun. I know hat with the law, i may carry a handgun openly but need a license to carry it concealed, however despite knowing this, the problem arises in my brain as, my step father is not allowed to own a firearm and my mother lost her gun as well since she's married to him, I get that part, but my question is, if I buy a gun am I legally able to own he gun? I wanna know this before I buy a gun and find out I cant own it as well as getting a permit to carry if I'm not legally able to own

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Gun ownership regarding household members

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsDealer99 View Post
    Hello, I just turned 21 and was looking into a handgun. I know hat with the law, i may carry a handgun openly but need a license to carry it concealed, however despite knowing this, the problem arises in my brain as, my step father is not allowed to own a firearm and my mother lost her gun as well since she's married to him, I get that part, but my question is, if I buy a gun am I legally able to own he gun? I wanna know this before I buy a gun and find out I cant own it as well as getting a permit to carry if I'm not legally able to own
    Ok, so it seems you live with your stepfather and your mother.

Your stepfather is apparently a prohibited person. Your mother probably isn't, but any gun she has would have to be stored in way that he can't get to it... and the same goes for you.

Honestly, I'd concentrate on getting your own living arrangement, get yourself a pistol later, unless you can be absolutely sure your stepfather won't try and get that gun.

(Allegheny County)

Your step father's prohibited status is his problem.

Your living arrangements are your problem.

You can own, buy, carry, but if you live with him, it must be inaccessible to him - that includes ammunition - he isn't even allowed to touch a round of ammo.
    I dunno if I'd want the hassle. It would be easier to move out and not have to worry about it - unless he comes to visit. Ruh-roh!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Luzerne County)

I'm sure he wouldn't touch it but I'm worried about the whole legal issue, if I can legally own it

(Montgomery County)

I'm sure he wouldn't touch it but I'm worried about the whole legal issue, if I can legally own it
    Why is he prohibited?
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Allegheny County)

"Knowing" that he won't touch it doesn't really matter - he is not permitted to have access to a gun or ammunition. Period. (assuming he's a prohibited person)

YOU are not prohibited (I assume), so you can own one.

You living with a prohibited person creates the challenge - no different than for your mother.
    SHE is not prohibited from owning a gun (unless she is) either, so her "restrictions" would be the same as yours - HE can not have access to guns or ammo.

Some people say that it's enough to keep the guns locked up and "never let the prohibited person know the combo, or know where the key is".
    Other people say that if you have the guns locked in a closet and there's a screwdriver in the house, that creates a situation where the guns ARE accessible if he were ABLE to use the screwdriver to take the door off the closet to gain access - not that he DOES it, but that he COULD - and that's not legal.

I dunno. Is it worth the risk? (not the risk of him getting the gun - the risk of not complying with the law 100%)

Te repeat, you and your mother are in the same situation - she didn't "lose her gun because she's married to him" - she may have been told that she can't have one in error. She may have been told any number of things, but the fact remains that HE is prohibited - not her - not you.
    Again, the issue is the need to have it so HE can NOT have access to a gun or ammo - ever. Period.

How do you do that?
    THAT is the "legal question" you need answered.

I realize that "kids" live at home until they are 50 these days, but it sure would take a lot of the stress away by moving to your own place.

(Luzerne County)

ok so before I purchase a weapon I can buy a case? I dont mind keeping it to myself, I dont share any of my info with anyone, im a private individual. I get where you going though, I rent here for now but I do plan on moving within 2 or 3 years depending on my income, so based on what I'm hearing, a locked safe will be alright until I move out and no longer need it. Either way, you were all a great help

(Allegheny County)

ok so before I purchase a weapon I can buy a case? I dont mind keeping it to myself, I dont share any of my info with anyone, im a private individual. I get where you going though, I rent here for now but I do plan on moving within 2 or 3 years depending on my income, so based on what I'm hearing, a locked safe will be alright until I move out and no longer need it. Either way, you were all a great help
    No, I seriously doubt a "locked case" is going to suffice. Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't - depends on the construction.
    A safe? Should be OK. Again though, it depends on who you ask.

I do suggest that you don't just accept the first couple of responses to a question posted on the internet as solid, legal advice.

This is serious. I wish I had a quick answer for you, but I don't.
    I've had to deal with something similar in the past, and I was almost ready to give up my firearms to avoid the legal nightmare that the situation creates. I did the "lock them up" thing, but never felt 100% certain that it was "enough".

(Luzerne County)

I just decided it safer to wait to see if I can even get a concealed permit and wait till I move out. I dont really need it asap just more of a right to have it rather then a need

(Berks County)

You can get a ltcf. You can buy a gun. You need to buy a safe first, mechanical dial, no key (preference for longevity and no over ride). Keep the gun and the ammo locked up. Prohibited people don’t get combo. This is technical compliance to the law. Moving out is better but keep all this in mind as you date. In fact keep this in mind when you do anything as becoming prohibited is the goal of government for all citizens and they have many traps set to accomplish this. Getting you ltcf makes your life as a gun owner much easier. It removes a lot of traps around transportation of firearms.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast