Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Warren County)

Default Re: Gun ownership regarding household members

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    You can get a ltcf. You can buy a gun. You need to buy a safe first, mechanical dial, no key (preference for longevity and no over ride). Keep the gun and the ammo locked up. Prohibited people don’t get combo. This is technical compliance to the law. Moving out is better but keep all this in mind as you date. In fact keep this in mind when you do anything as becoming prohibited is the goal of government for all citizens and they have many traps set to accomplish this. Getting you ltcf makes your life as a gun owner much easier. It removes a lot of traps around transportation of firearms.
    Gunsnwater nailed it. Do this.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Allegheny County)

How is a combo lock any different than a key lock in terms of "compliance with the law"?

I don't even know what constitutes "compliance" - like I said, I've heard different answers.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Mercer County)

Safes and lock boxes would cover your butt in the event the prohibited person gained access, It could show due diligence to prevent it from happening.

But the prohibited person might have issues with a gun in the house even if in a safe or lockbox. It's called constructive possession.

If it's the step father's and mother's house they probably would not want any possibility of charges being brought against the step father.

You should seek proper legal advice because I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    How is a combo lock any different than a key lock in terms of "compliance with the law"?
    Keys can be picked up and used by anyone, especially if you leave them laying around. A combination for a safe, on the other hand, is a little bit harder to obtain if you're not telling anyone the combination (and aren't leaving the combination numbers just laying around).

That's why I liked Sergeant & Greenleaf (and Mosler, too) for safe locks. I could change the combination to whatever I wanted, easy to remember. Never, ever use birthdays. Pick a six-letter word, key the letters to a telephone number pad, and there's your safe combination. "OFFICE" becomes "63-34-23". "FUCKED" becomes "38-25-33".
    Last edited by Statkowski; March 27th, 2019 at 11:17 PM.

The way that prohibited people get caught having constructive possession of firearms is usually either (a) guns are just lying around the house and someone sees them (like a cop who found your lost dog or the gas meter guy), or (b) some perp kicks in the door and the prohibited person grabs the gun and defends himself, which means he had access to the gun all along.

If the terms of probation say that the person can't live in a home that has any guns, then he has to abide by those terms. But once probation is over, the state and federal laws are the only restrictions, and those only prohibit access to guns or ammo. So other residents can own guns, as long as they are stored in a safe or even a well-locked room (people living in apartment houses are only separated from guns owned by other residents by locked doors, so it's not a building-wide thing.)

So don't rely on telling the cops that the guns are locked away in a safe, if you really keep them accessible "just in case". After a defensive shooting, you can and will be prosecuted for the unlawful possession. Happens all the time.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123