Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Active Army - County Question

I apologize if anyone asked this before, if so please point me to that post..

I am attempting to get my conceal carry permit.

Background: I am an active duty military, stationed in IL (reason I'm going back to PA for it). I am from Franklin county and my PA driver license has an address from Franklin county. My truck is registered in PA, but has my IL address. I do not have a home or anything else in PA, but I am resident, file taxes etc. The state of PA knows i live in IL.

Question: Can I, being a resident of PA go to any county sheriff to apply versus going back to Franklin county? For example, I will be in Washington county for an event and considered applying there for the permit. I contacted the sheriffs office (Washington County) and the lady I spoke with wasn't grasping what I was asking, and suggested I bring my orders into the office to try it. Being that this is out of my way, I wanted to get a feel from everyone on if this is possible being that I am a PA resident, but not a resident of any specific county being military.

Thanks

(Carbon County)

Default Re: Active Army - County Question

no

you must apply in the county you reside
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Lehigh County)

Smile Re: Active Army - County Question

AS I understand it, if you are getting a PA resident permit you have to apply in your county of residency which seems to be Franklin, based on what you have here. I know there are special rules for active duty military that live out of state for many things, but am not aware of this for LTCF applications.

BTW you might want to spend some time on handgunlaw.us or some other web sites, as IL is listed as NOT recognizing PA License to carry firearms in that state and it does have some funky laws on guns, which is not good for we who own them. Still a good idea to have your PA LTCF anyway.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Delaware County)

If memory serves, IL resident permit is "only" $150, while non-res is $300 - and you are not from one of the states to which they will issue non-res.

If you're getting your PA so you can carry in IL, you're barking up the wrong tree. Get your IL if you intend to (legally) carry there.

(Monroe County)

1- for your PA got to go to your county
    2- for IL, got to find a local expert. But when I was active in VA I got a res permit there. Yes with PA DL/ copy of orders, had a car reg there with local tax form for the house I had.

When I ret, VA put my PA new PA ADDR on my res permit and I ran that till I got my PA one. They did not renew it like that though.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Butler County)

My oldest is Active USAF in South Dakota. He has both resident PA LTCF and a resident SD CCW, as his 'home of record' is PA and SD recognizes active duty personnel there as residents for CCW purposes. I'm many years removed from active duty, but isn't there a document that you could get some personnel stating your 'Home of Record' along with your other PA state documents? Not knowing the details, I would ASSuME that you'd have to then go to Franklin County.

As for IL, I concur that a local expert there would be best advised.

Thanks all for the input.

I am not worried about IL as i am PCSing in a few weeks to another state that accepts PA with no issues.

My biggest question was can i go to a different county given that I have no ties to my old county of residence. The state knows me as a resident that lives in IL, not in Franklin county which is why i was asking.

Better info i found here is that either way, Franklin county has a mail in option, so doesn't matter if i wont be in the county for a few months.

(Susquehanna County)

You could ask the Sheriff.. but I stand with the others that you need to apply in your county of residence, Franklin County

Thanks for your service
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyN View Post
    Thanks all for the input.

I am not worried about IL as i am PCSing in a few weeks to another state that accepts PA with no issues.

My biggest question was can i go to a different county given that I have no ties to my old county of residence. The state knows me as a resident that lives in IL, not in Franklin county which is why i was asking.

Better info i found here is that either way, Franklin county has a mail in option, so doesn't matter if i wont be in the county for a few months.
    Even if Franklin Co has a mail-in, you would still need to appear in person to pick it up. Either at application or pickup time, your ID has to be scanned and your picture taken with the system's camera.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Even if Franklin Co has a mail-in, you would still need to appear in person to pick it up. Either at application or pickup time, your ID has to be scanned and your picture taken with the system's camera.
    This is correct. Normal turn-around here is about 2 weeks. If you think it will literally be "months" until you're back, you may want to sit tight until about 3 weeks out, then send the application and/or make a phone call explaining the situation. I don't know what they do if an approval lingers for 2 months, and the clerk you will need to speak to is a gun-hater and usually less than cordial/helpful, so I'd do everything on your end to make sure you can get it while here without hassle.

If you have months, you may want to even write a letter, so you have clarification in hand from them. "Someone told me"....can be easily denied.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.