Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Thinking 454 cas, specifically Ruger SBH Bisley 4.6"

Recently I have become more interested in shooting revolvers. Specifically, I love shooting powerful 357 mag and 44 mag loads. I enjoy the stout recoil.

I am thinking of getting a 454 in the near future, and have pretty much decided on the Super Blackhawk Bisley in either a 4.6" or 6.5" barrel.

I had previously been looking at the S&W 460xvr performance center in 7.5" (which is just stunning IMO and can also fire 454s), but eventually decided that the $1400 price tag was over the limit of what I'd like to spend.

Also, if I bought the 460, I would feel obligated to shoot 460. At the increased price, I just don't see the point when 454 can already kill anything on the continent. 460 just seems like more of a novelty cartridge to me.

The problem I am having now is that I can't find almost any info online (video or print) about the 4.6 inch barreled SBH 454. What I really want to know is if it will be over the top punishment to fire.

The 44 mag that I have now is a SBH Bisley, with a 3.75" barrel, and at 44oz, it is not painful to shoot with the fairly stout Fed AE44A load, (I've never tried any of the super hot boutique stuff). I'm afraid the 454 may push that recoil over the tipping point to becoming painful. I may enjoy stout recoil, but I am not a sadist.

On the other hand, the 4.6" is only 2.4 ounces lighter (@48oz) than the 6.5". Can it really be that much worse? I have seen shooting footage and read print accounts of shooting the 6.5" and I believe it would not be painful. I would probably prefer the 4.6" though, for increased portability, if it was at all manageable to shoot.

I had previously considered the double action 5" barrelled Super Redhawk Toklat 454 (weighing in at 47oz). There is some data out there to suggest it is uncomfortable to at least some shooters.

I am also curious about the difference in velocity between the two 454 SBHs, but again, I am coming up empty.

Does anyone have any thoughts or better yet experience concerning the 4.6" SBH Bisley 454?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Thinking 454 cas, specifically Ruger SBH Bisley 4.6"

The 454 generally isn't pleasant to shoot in any handgun because of the high pressures - creates a very fast recoil impulse. It's operating pressure(60K-65K) is the same as a .270Winchester(65K). ...close to twice that of most typical magnum handgun cartridges.

The 44mag is already able to kill anything in the Americas. And in the right gun, .45Colt can be tuned up to a hair over 44mag.

Gripframes in the Redhawk and Bisley tend to push harder into your hand. Where as a Blackhawk design based on the Colt plow-handle type grip tend to roll up, which doesn't put as much energy into your hand, but can rub you raw if you use sticky grips or fight the roll.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The 454 generally isn't pleasant to shoot in any handgun because of the high pressures - creates a very fast recoil impulse. It's operating pressure(60K-65K) is the same as a .270Winchester(65K). ...close to twice that of most typical magnum handgun cartridges.

The 44mag is already able to kill anything in the Americas. And in the right gun, .45Colt can be tuned up to a hair over 44mag.

Gripframes in the Redhawk and Bisley tend to push harder into your hand. Where as a Blackhawk design based on the Colt plow-handle type grip tend to roll up, which doesn't put as much energy into your hand, but can rub you raw if you use sticky grips or fight the roll.
    I'm pretty satisfied with the bisley grip on my 44 mag SBH. Pleasant recoil is subjective, but watching smaller individuals than myself handle the 6.5", I believe it would be managable. If I can manage to shoot 40-60 at the range and not feel sore the next day, I'll be satisfied.

I realize I brought this on myself with the comment about 454 killing anything, but to clarify, I don't hunt. I just want to have some fun killing paper/steel/fruit/etc.

(Beaver County)

The 460 is not a novelty. I continually hit 18x18 steel plates at 500 yards with mine. The 454 is no slouch either. Its s whole new recoil experience. I traded my 8 3/8 460 for the performance center 15" model. 44mag is a pussy cat compareitivly speaking.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    The 460 is not a novelty. I continually hit 18x18 steel plates at 500 yards with mine. The 454 is no slouch either. Its s whole new recoil experience. I traded my 8 3/8 460 for the performance center 15" model. 44mag is a pussy cat compareitivly speaking.
    Maybe novelty was overdoing it, but much more than what I need/want. I'm not going to be shooting a handgun 500 yards, nor do I need to drop Thanos to one knee. I'm talking about iron sights only shooting, mostly unsupported, at 50 -100 yards max (mostly much less). I've realized that my interest in that particular firearm was aesthetic only, and I'm not willing to pay $1400 for that.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    I'm pretty satisfied with the bisley grip on my 44 mag SBH. Pleasant recoil is subjective, but watching smaller individuals than myself handle the 6.5", I believe it would be managable. If I can manage to shoot 40-60 at the range and not feel sore the next day, I'll be satisfied.

I realize I brought this on myself with the comment about 454 killing anything, but to clarify, I don't hunt. I just want to have some fun killing paper/steel/fruit/etc.
    If recoil isn't going to be an issue, then the Bisley or Redhawk handle should be fine. It will certainly be more than a .44mag. Both design of guns are very respectable and capable of good target shooting results. For you, it may come down to which you prefer for your given purpose. Some folks like a single action, some like the SA/DA of the Redhawk. I'd love an Alaskan .454 just for poops and giggles, not so much that I want to shoot it often. lol But then, I love SA's as well, and a Bisley would sit nicely beside my (old) Vaquero .45Colt.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If recoil isn't going to be an issue, then the Bisley or Redhawk handle should be fine. It will certainly be more than a .44mag. Both design of guns are very respectable and capable of good target shooting results. For you, it may come down to which you prefer for your given purpose. Some folks like a single action, some like the SA/DA of the Redhawk. I'd love an Alaskan .454 just for poops and giggles, not so much that I want to shoot it often. lol But then, I love SA's as well, and a Bisley would sit nicely beside my (old) Vaquero .45Colt.
    I'm thinking single action is definitely the correct choice for me, for something with that much boom.

If I can't find some more info about the 4-5/8" though, I'm probably just going to play it safe and default to the longer barreled SBH Bisley.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    Maybe novelty was overdoing it, but much more than what I need/want. I'm not going to be shooting a handgun 500 yards, nor do I need to drop Thanos to one knee. I'm talking about iron sights only shooting, mostly unsupported, at 50 -100 yards max (mostly much less). I've realized that my interest in that particular firearm was aesthetic only, and I'm not willing to pay $1400 for that.
    Its never more than you need. Trust me. I got a 45/70 BFR in 7.5". Come to the group shoot. I'll let ya touch off one of my 700 grain wadcutters for 500 mag. That's definately more.

Btw I love the 45/70 in the BFR. Its surprisingly tolerable. I think you'll be fine in a single action gun.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Clearfield County)

Do they make a super black hawk in .454?

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Do they make a super black hawk in .454?
    Yes, they do.
    https://www.ruger.com/products/newMo...ey/models.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast