Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: School board learns a 20-year active shooter lesson??

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    In a very close quarter and chaotic situation like this would be you would need to be more then a good shot and you need to perform under some serious stress and pressure in order to solve that kind of problem and not become apart of it. If the teacher could pass the ECQC training classes then I would be all for it but I personally would rather see one of the many returned combat vet who has been under and performed under the stress of real live fire have that job pending they do not suffer from PTSD.

If I had to vote to arm teachers or not I would because it's better then running around like a bunch of clowns throwing gravel at a gunmen, however I personally would rather see truly trained professionals who are there for one reason and one reason only to stop something like this and nothing else including policing the students and breaking up fights.
    If any CCW holder finds themselves in a shooting out in public, they will be in that exact situation.
    A teacher with the skills to defend themselves right away, while simultaneously saving everyone around them is better then a vet or security guard running from one end of the building with his bad knees to the rescue... It happens in seconds, you don't have minutes to wait.
    Last edited by :-); March 22nd, 2019 at 08:36 AM.

(Allegheny County)

When the shtf, and the kids can't escape from the classroom, I would feel alot better knowing that my child was hunkered down behind a teacher with a gun in his or her hand.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    So what are the second best techniques to engage an active shooter while unarmed ?
    Put your head between your knees...

Kiss your @$$ goodbye

(Susquehanna County)

I am against school staff being armed to stop shooters ! Now calm down and let me SPLAIN this..

that is NOT their job and takes a lot of training .. that is what security or police are for... HOWEVER

I am 100% for allowing school staff, who can pass simple training and desire to be armed while at work, be permitted to carry.

The district should let it be public knowledge that some of their staff are armed.
    If shooters do not know who is armed that is a great deterrent.
    The staff should not go and hunt down the shooter for a shoot out, they are not trained for this and could interfere with LEOs that are hunting the asshole.
    They 100% should be able to defend themselves and others when confronted

I am willing to bet that a shooter who gets in and starts shooting then comes face to face with a staff member who shoots back
    A) as with most cases they will run, or commit suicide, or give up
    B) once that hits the news more staff will want to be the one who ends it.. not the one in the corner singing "Kum ba ya my friends" while being murdered
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Montgomery County)

I believe that anybody should be able to carry at their place of work, period. No training, no notifying supervisors, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    I am against school staff being armed to stop shooters ! Now calm down and let me SPLAIN this..

that is NOT their job and takes a lot of training .. that is what security or police are for... HOWEVER

I am 100% for allowing school staff, who can pass simple training and desire to be armed while at work, be permitted to carry.

The district should let it be public knowledge that some of their staff are armed.
    If shooters do not know who is armed that is a great deterrent.
    The staff should not go and hunt down the shooter for a shoot out, they are not trained for this and could interfere with LEOs that are hunting the asshole.
    They 100% should be able to defend themselves and others when confronted

I am willing to bet that a shooter who gets in and starts shooting then comes face to face with a staff member who shoots back
    A) as with most cases they will run, or commit suicide, or give up
    B) once that hits the news more staff will want to be the one who ends it.. not the one in the corner singing "Kum ba ya my friends" while being murdered
    Then the teachers need to be paid for this training and the classes and ammunition for the training should be free.
    Why should they have to pay for their right to defend themselves while at work?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I wonder how the experts arrived at a bunch of school students, running chaotically and screaming, will be a plus for responding police to sort out.
    This is going to be happening anyway.

I am talking about them focusing their energy on the bad guy/s, to somehow lessen the casualties.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by :-) View Post
    I had a talk with a school teacher at the gym once and she said she just wants to teach and school is for learning and all the typical libtard bull shit.
    She said she doesn't want that type of responsibility and she doesn't want to have a gun. I said you wouldn't need one because other teachers that want the ability to defend themselves and others will.
    She said, and this is almost word for word, "I would rather no one have or be allowed to own guns... The government needs to do their job, we are entitled as Americans to be protected". I guess this is what she teaches her class...
    This is pretty much the sentiment in Philadelphia schools and we are probably never going to change it.

So how do we work around it ?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Yes I am sure that many kids will be brave enough to run directly into gun fire with a pencil.

Good luck finding an adult that would do it.
    Humans have been known to do some outrageous things when their lives or others were on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    This is pretty much the sentiment in Philadelphia schools and we are probably never going to change it.

So how do we work around it ?

Sorry but if my kids loose in a hall way then they are told to run away from the gun fire not towards it. If they are in a class room with windows then a chair needs to go theough one and they need to jump. I don’t care how high it is, we can fix a broken bone or two. If they have no other options or are pinned down then do what you have to. Self preservation is number one and being a victim does not support that.

If I were a teacher armed or not I couldn’t hide with my cell phone and twitter my fear level and not try and confront the shooter. I would not be telling my class of 9 and 10 year olds to get ready for battle. If I was with the 17 year old football team well maybe I would think differently.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast