Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Shooting glasses

I grew up quite nearsighted. When my late 40s rolled around I needed bifocals. While each eye is different, I was measured for far distance (near-ish to infinity) and reading distance (16" in my case).

I am (and shoot) right-handed. For my shooting glasses I went with single vision at full distance for my left eye, and single vision at 23" (my front sight) for my right eye. I literally brought my slide in with me so I could get properly measured, and the doc let me hold it up to look at it thru the machine while I was in the chair. As PizzaBob says, it takes a moment or 2 to get used to them when first putting them on, but after that I really don't notice until I put the bifocals back on after a match.

I have these < https://www.esseyepro.com/Crosshair-...90_detail.html > with this insert < https://www.esseyepro.com/U-Rx-Insert_191_detail.html >. I didn't get any special anti-glare, anti-UV, or anti-scratch coatings on the insert lenses as the polycarbonate lenses already have that.

(Philadelphia County)

I did not like that tilt the head way back either.
    I had a pair made that are upside down. The reading part at the top. Now a slight tilt down of the head, which seems normal for shooting, and front sight is in focus.
    It might take some talking to have them made this way. Mine were tough since there is a prism in there.
    Explain what you are doing. That part was easy, no backlash about guns or shooting. I think the one lady I was working through was ex military, she understood.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Bucks County)

So far it looks like my best options are either an occupational trifocal with the intermediate correction on top or the ESS glass with the Rx insert. I hadn't seen those before. They seem to be reasonably priced but what's the deal? Do you get an unfinished insert and have your optometrist finish it?

(Northampton County)

I've learned to adjust to the progressive lens since I won't be able to yell time out for an eyewear change should things go south on a dark alley somewhere.

For trap shooting I seem to do ok without corrective lenses since my far vision is such a slight correction. I find it more important to have a lens that does not interfere with my line of sight for shotgun/rifle shooting so I go with the old style shooting glass style with the tall lenses. Keeps me from looking at the edge of the lens when my head is on the stock.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by kcb38 View Post
    Do you get an unfinished insert and have your optometrist finish it?
    Yes. I placed the ESS order in advance, and gave the optometrist the insert when I ordered my glasses. Be sure you are clear what prescription goes with which pair.

Even if you're just getting the insert done, you need to give it to the optometrist so they can cut and fit the lenses.

ESS will also do them (for a fee, of course) if you provide your prescription. See the web site for details.

(Bucks County)

Ahh, I see now (no pun intended). The insert doesn't have lenses in it, they are made by the optometrist. At first I thought it cam with the lenses. Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

If you're only shooting pistols, reversing the lens to place "near" at the top should work. If you're shooting long guns you'll run into a problem because the lens on glasses are ground to put the sweet spot in the middle of the lens (horizontally). When shooting a long gun your head tilts and turns slightly to obtain your cheek weld and to properly line up the sights. This moves where you look through your glasses to the upper inside edge instead of the "sweat" spot in the center. If you don't look through the "sweat spot" it will cause distortion in what you see.

Competitive shooters use a custom "monocle" that attaches to a special frame that permits them to move the sweat spot to just the right location for aiming.

I've been down this road before and I tried everything over the past 10 years. What finally worked for me were multi-focal contacts that I can wear normally every day and while shooting. It's the closet thing to having perfect eyesight when you don't. I put the "Near" contact in my aiming eye and the "Distance" contact in my other eye. I can see both the sights and the target in focus when looking at them separately. I just wear standard shooting glasses.
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    My eyeglasses are fairly small and I just wear safety glasses over them. I don't shoot for competition though so you'd have a hard time convincing me to spend $$$ on prescription safety glasses.
    I am having a problem locating safety glasses that fit over my regular glasses.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by kcb38 View Post
    I would just have my regular prescription lenses made with polycarbonate but the normal progressive layout doesn't work at all for shooting. You have to lay your head back too much for pistol shooting and for rifle and shotgun, with your cheek on the stock you wind up looking through the top of the lens. That's for distance correction and is no good for focusing on the front sight.
    Me too.. prescriptions with Polycarb safety lenses and progressive bifocals.. Me I just slide the glasses down a bit so the progressive part is lower in line of sight but eyes are still behind the lens
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12