Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Exclamation Possession of a handgun at 18

Hey. I've done my bit of reading around, and i haven't been able to find anything that contradicts the statement that there is no law against possession of a handgun at 18 years. I've even heard some people explaining how they managed to own a handgun at 18 years old (as a gift from the parent). I live in the bucks county area. I recently went to Ready Aim Fire, bringing my long gun and a handgun that i borrowed from my dad. I also had all of the ammo I needed, so I wouldn't have to ask to purchase ammo at their store as i know that they cannot sell to me. They would not allow me to fire the handgun in the range, stating that my father needed to be there. Just asking here if there is any legislation to back that up. Something I might've missed.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Possession of a handgun at 18

Quote Originally Posted by Epii View Post
    Hey. I've done my bit of reading around, and i haven't been able to find anything that contradicts the statement that there is no law against possession of a handgun at 18 years. I've even heard some people explaining how they managed to own a handgun at 18 years old (as a gift from the parent). I live in the bucks county area. I recently went to Ready Aim Fire, bringing my long gun and a handgun that i borrowed from my dad. I also had all of the ammo I needed, so I wouldn't have to ask to purchase ammo at their store as i know that they cannot sell to me. They would not allow me to fire the handgun in the range, stating that my father needed to be there. Just asking here if there is any legislation to back that up.
    There is not, but as a private business, they are entitled to have such a policy if they wish.

If they claimed it was a legal requirement, I'd hesitate to do any business with them anyway, as they are clearly clueless. There are plenty of other places that will both understand and respect your rights, even at the tender age of 18.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Bucks County)

I agree, just wanted to make sure the statement was not made on legal grounds. They didn't state it directly, but it was kind of implied with the way it was said.

Thanks!

(Bucks County)

The gunshop was correct.

I do not believe your father can legally let you "borrow" his firearm. He could gift it to you. But you can not lend someone a firearm unless they have a LTCF.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    The gunshop was correct.

I do not believe your father can legally let you "borrow" his firearm. He could gift it to you. But you can not lend someone a firearm unless they have a LTCF.
    IMO, the "lending" provision is for folks who would normally need to go through an FFL for a "transfer". If the dad can legally and permanently give a handgun to his 18-year-old son sans paperwork, I don't see any legal issue doing so for a few hours. It's semantics, and IMO, everything that transpired was legal, regardless of the words used to describe the sequence of events.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Berks County)

It doesn't sound like they claimed it was not legal but rather they required it. Could be a couple of things...maybe they didn't know and erred to the side of caution, maybe their insurance has a stipulation in it. I doubt that they have many 18 year olds show up with a pistol in tow to target shoot.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Warren County)

Yes there are circumstances where you are legal to have possession on a handgun at age 18.

There are also a metric fuck_ton of rules laws and regulations that can trip you up and then you are prohibited for life.

Don't fuck around with gun laws, no how, no way.

Wait. It's worth it..
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Chester County)

Does your Dad need to be there if you are in the military and they tell you to pick up one of their guns and shoot it at the range?
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Does your Dad need to be there if you are in the military and they tell you to pick up one of their guns and shoot it at the range?
    You are government property at that point. You’re closer to a chair than a son.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    The gunshop was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    IMO, the "lending" provision is for folks who would normally need to go through an FFL for a "transfer". If the dad can legally and permanently give a handgun to his 18-year-old son sans paperwork, I don't see any legal issue doing so for a few hours. It's semantics, and IMO, everything that transpired was legal, regardless of the words used to describe the sequence of events.
    I agree with gnbrotz. Permanent transfers between parent/child are legal, so a temporary loan would be as well. For all intents and purposes, a short term loan between the exempted relations is the same as a long term gift.

As for the range not allowing the OP, that is a private matter. There is no law against >18yo to <21yo firing a handgun at a range, but property owners can set policy as they see fit. The OP will just need to find another range that doesn't have such a policy.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast