Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Savage 29B

(Lancaster County)

Default Savage 29B

I brought a Savage 29B .22 pump home and can’t find a SN on it. Anyone know where they stamped these rifles?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Savage 29B

Serial numbers were not required on all guns until the Gun Control Act of 1968 and it is not uncommon for older 22 rifles to not have one.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    I brought a Savage 29B .22 pump home and can’t find a SN on it. Anyone know where they stamped these rifles?
    Remove the buttplate, there may be one on the buttstock. Also, you can check on the slide rail - take out the takedown screw and separate the gun. It may be there.

Then again, it may not have one. Mine is from the 30's and it doesn't. Yours being a B would be from 1950 on. On the top of the barrel, just past the receiver may be a circle with a number. That number is the year it was made.

(Elk County)

I have a Model 29 with a take down screw. My serial number is inside. If I remove the screw, breakdown the gun it is located inside forward of the trigger. It can not be seen from the outside. The gun was given to me by a friend that would be around 90 now and he got it when he was around 12. Not sure if it was new or not but think it was given to him by his grandfather. Octagon barrel and open sights. Tube feeder and extremely accurate! SN 141XXXL no idea what year it was made. thumbnail.jpg

Those oldschool takedown pump .22s are gorgeous, especially the round barrels. Way nicer than the Henry octagon barrel guns that slice your thumb with every round cycled. I wish they still made them.
    I am not a lawyer.