Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Tactical Rail for Revolvers?

Thanks Buxbandit, I did see that one. The problem with that is it looks like a 8 3/8 inch barrel. I don’t want one that large. Preferably 5.5 or under.

(Franklin County)

Check out www.railtac.com
    They have rails that fit S&W 44 and Ruger 357s.

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks Ray H. I just checked that website out and I may go that route!

(Centre County)

One big reason many don't want a rail or anything under the barrel of a revolver is the burning gasses & powder expelling from around the cylinder when shooting. Messy, dirty to clean, and could damage stuff.
    And the subject of pointing a light at something while it's on a gun has been a serious discussion for as long as lights have been put on firearms.

Gun Safety Rule; "Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy."

The arguments are that in the home, you SHOULD know where the people/things are you do NOT want to destroy. But accidents & mistakes have happened. Son/Daughter slipping in late at night when she wasn't supposed to be out at all. Shot & killed.

Many, many self defense classes teach how to use a light when checking out the unknown. All w/o a mounted light.
    And as we all know,,, many semi-auto handguns have rails & lights, as do rifles & shotguns.

The choice of adding & using a light is a personal preference.
    But I'd hesitate about putting one on a revolver, simply because of the cylinder gasses.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

You’ll probably need to go the custom holster route if you put a rail/light under the barrel.

I go into the woods, in black bear country before sunrise and after sunset for archery and find the headlamp works great. if you haven’t done this give it a try. I’d also play around a bit with a light on whatever 44 you have to see how it affects balance and aiming before I put a rail on it. You could tape the light to it to see if you’re ok with it.

Railtac makes a picatinny rail for full lug S&W revolvers and the Ruger GP100. It's held on by epoxy, but it's removable with a heat gun.

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    My S&W 325 45 ACP has a removable tac rail. Never seen one on a conventional revolver before.
    The rail on the 325TR was one of the selling points for the gun for me. But not because I thought it would be useful for a light or laser, but because it reminded me of the wave motion gun on the bow of the Space Battleship Yamoto...

hqdefault.jpg

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks for the advice Xringshooter. Just in response to your concerns regarding a tac light being potentially unsafe... I would be using this as a sidearm while walking too and from my archery stand during the dark. My primary light would be a headlamp, and I would only draw the gun in the event that an animal was posing a threat to myself. Under those circumstances, I couldn’t see it being an issue of safety. It would not be used as a home defense gun. But thanks for your input!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs4421 View Post
    Thanks for the advice Xringshooter. Just in response to your concerns regarding a tac light being potentially unsafe... I would be using this as a sidearm while walking too and from my archery stand during the dark. My primary light would be a headlamp, and I would only draw the gun in the event that an animal was posing a threat to myself. Under those circumstances, I couldn’t see it being an issue of safety. It would not be used as a home defense gun. But thanks for your input!
    The Chiappa Rhino has a tac rail and also shoots out of the bottom of the cylinder rather than the top for better recoil control. I know they come in 357, not sure what other calibers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12