Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Angry LTCF Application at 50 + days

This is my first time posting anything on here and wanted to get some advice. In mid January I applied for my license to carry a firearm. I put the application in and paid the fee I did include two references one was in county the other was out of county. I know my in county reference drop the paperwork off at the courthouse, my out of county reference never even got the paperwork And I called the sheriffs office with the correct address when they called me letting me know when the letter got returned. I have never had a criminal charge in my life I don’t even have parking tickets I’m just wondering what the deal is with the sheriff of Wayne County. I have read on here of people getting their permit in 20 minutes after paying the fee, is a who you know kinda of bull. I grant you my references was kind of slim because I’m really kind of a quiet person and I could not use family on the references , I am married with a college education I don’t see the threat I pose. I was thinking of bringing my story to my state representative but I don’t know if It would do any good. Sorry if I’m venting I’m just really starting to hate Wayne County, think of moving once I finish my masters degree.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: LTCF Application at 50 + days

AFAIK the references are a formality and they're not allowed to contact or request any paperwork. In Bucks, I was in and out, 15 minutes and $20 dollars later. Call and bitch or call a lawyer, either one should get them moving. If option 1 fails move to 2 with implied damages/restrictions on your rights.
    To disarm the people...[i]s the most effectual way to enslave them."

If you haven't received a formal denial letter than chances are they are just dragging their feet for whatever reason.

I quickly browsed the website and didn't see anything abnormal like in county references and such.

There are quite a few people here from Wayne co. I'm sure eventually one will chime in with what the deal is with this particular sheriff.

I wouldn't get too worked up just yet.

is it not "45 business days" to send out the letter explaining why it is taking longer?
    gvmnt gets like 12 holidays and all weekends off.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Lancaster County)

What did the sheriff say when you called and asked what the status is?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

First, like Streaker asked, I’d too would like to ask the OP, how many times he’s spoken to the office or the Sheriff since submitting his application?

FWIW, the easiest county in the state to get a LTCF is Centre County. That said, the Wayne County Sheriff is an all around decent guy and Pro 2A. Unlike Centre County and others, he doesn’t issue the same day and lists a waiting period of up to 45 days. In my case and that of several friends, it took just under 3 weeks to get the notice in the mail.

Not sure what’s up with the OP case, I would have thought he would have had some dialogue with the office or the Sheriff himself at this point, as he, at 50 days is beyond even the Wayne County’s published time frame.

If you (OP) don’t get an honest answer, have an attorney make an inquiry for you. It shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg. Best of luck to you.
    Last edited by 1911Operator; March 16th, 2019 at 08:20 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Operator View Post
    First, like Streaker asked, I’d too would like to ask the OP, how many times he’s spoken to the office or the Sheriff since submitting his application?

FWIW, the easiest county in the state to get a LTCF is Centre County. That said, the Wayne County Sheriff is an all around decent guy and Pro 2A. Unlike Centre County and others, he doesn’t issue the same day and lists a waiting period of up to 45 days. In my case and that of several friends, it took just under 3 weeks to get the notice in the mail.

Not sure what’s up with the OP case, I would have thought he would have had some dialogue with the office or the Sheriff himself at this point, as he, at 50 days is beyond even the Wayne County’s published time frame.

If you (OP) don’t get an honest answer, have an attorney make an inquiry for you. It shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg. Best of luck to you.
    He pretends to be pro 2A. If they don’t pics and issue they are not pro 2A. This isn’t a popularity contest. We are shall issue.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    is it not "45 business days" to send out the letter explaining why it is taking longer?
    gvmnt gets like 12 holidays and all weekends off.
    It's 45 business days if the sheriff decrees it, which can certainly string it out to 8 weeks without holidays.

All the more reason to issue on the spot. The faux investigation is just that. Nothing gets "investigated" beyond pics, unless the sheriff just wants to either add to the bureaucracy, or seek reasons to not issue, like Philly.

(Wayne County)

Thanks for the information guys I am going to stop in to the courthouse Monday and ask the sheriff what the status is of the application. I’m trying to avoid using a lawyer because of the cost but I might start looking for one.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    It's 45 business days if the sheriff decrees it, which can certainly string it out to 8 weeks without holidays.

All the more reason to issue on the spot. The faux investigation is just that. Nothing gets "investigated" beyond pics, unless the sheriff just wants to either add to the bureaucracy, or seek reasons to not issue, like Philly.
    https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...&div=0&chpt=61
    "(g) Grant or denial of license.--Upon the receipt of an application for a license to carry a firearm, the sheriff shall, within 45 days, issue or refuse to issue a license on the basis of the investigation under subsection (d) and the accuracy of the information contained in the application. If the sheriff refuses to issue a license, the sheriff shall notify the applicant in writing of the refusal and the specific reasons. The notice shall be sent by certified mail to the applicant at the address set forth in the application. "

i didn't recall it being business days but figured it would be. so my bad.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast