Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR pistol?

Default AR pistol?

Gentlefolk,

I regularly travel between my home in WV and my inlaws in York County. Is there any peculiarity in PA law concerning the care, feeding and portage of these beasties a guy should know about? BTW I have a WV CCW.

Thanks
    I live in WV , but I visit my Mom-in-law in York PA 8 to 10 times a year. Can I get a "Tourist" visa?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: AR pistol?

According to http://handgunlaw.us/ WV permits are recognized in PA. If you want you can get a PA non resident permit since you have your native state permit.
    Last edited by gghbi; March 15th, 2019 at 11:15 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

gghbi,

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear. I’m thinking of using an AR-15 pistol as a truck gun. In most States they are legally “pistols” and OK to transport in a vehicle loaded and uncased. I was wondering if PA law has any tripwires I need to be aware of.
    I live in WV , but I visit my Mom-in-law in York PA 8 to 10 times a year. Can I get a "Tourist" visa?

(Allegheny County)

I have no idea how the law factors into you being from another state - I simply don't follow state reciprocity and such for "permits", but as far as WE are concerned, an AR pistol is treated the same as a Glock 9mm in regards to legal transport in a vehicle.
    If I have my LTCF, I can have my AR pistol in the vehicle - loaded and uncased if I so choose.

That doesn't preclude you from running across a cop who doesn't know the law and wants to trip you up for having an "unregistered SBR" or some such nonsense, but I'm sure you're aware that those types of things can happen.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Gentlefolk,

I regularly travel between my home in WV and my inlaws in York County. Is there any peculiarity in PA law concerning the care, feeding and portage of these beasties a guy should know about? BTW I have a WV CCW.

Thanks
    "care, feeding and portage" lol.
    Nicely done :P
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Allegheny County)

Yes, it's my understanding that legally you can do it.

Personally, unless I was expecting a zombie road block in my travels, I wouldn't choose to go that route. Here's my question for you. What do you plan on doing with the AR when you're not in your vehicle? If you want it to be available incase you need it while driving, then it has to be immediately accessible. Then when you leave your vehicle it has to either go with you or be secured in the vehicle. A stolen AR pistol from a car is going to be bad for you with many law enforcement agencies. They always seem to blame the owner for leaving it in the car.

In addition, If you ever have to use it, the press and the police are going to paint you as some kind of a gun nut.
    Last edited by Hawk; March 16th, 2019 at 08:46 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post

In addition, If you ever have to use it, the press and the police are going to paint you as some kind of a gun nut.
    He could use a single shot .22 derringer and the press cold paint him as a gun nut.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Can't imagine what they'd say if I had to use my "truck gun" in a defensive shooting.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Gentlefolk,

Thanks
    To answer your question, in PA your AR pistol is a pistol just like any other pistol, assuming it doesn't have any of the things that would otherwise classify it as an SBR.
    Just be careful to follow federal transportation laws going through MD though, there are probably a few Maryland law enforcement officers that would consider it a victory to get a "gun nut" and an evil AR off the streets.

Thanks guys,
    FWIW I don’t plan on regularly carrying it loaded in the cab while traveling but figured that would be the worst case scenario. It will most probably be unloaded in my luggage or a backpack. My personal rule for travel is that if I’m going more than an hours drive or 100 miles away a rifle goes with me. The AR pistol just makes it easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast