Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Northumberland County)

Default What combo safes have OK steel under $1500?

I've been debating the safe/cabinet topic for some time and several recent events suggest the need for a legitimate safe, but I haven't seen anything that quite fits the bill just yet. Most of my research is leaning either towards 'what not to buy' or 'thousands over my budget'. Found a handful of options from TSC and privately (Stack On Elite, Mesa, Liberty USA series) that seem sorta OK, but look like they emphasize fire protection over steel thickness.

Are there any offerings with combination locks, long lugs and decently thick gauge steel that are under $1,000? Under $1,500? Combo lock is a must in my mind, and the thicker the steel body and longer the lugs the better. Capacity is very negotiable from 10-???, and I know the saying about buying more than you need . And fire protection is preferred, but not mandatory (unfinished cement surroundings, and I'm 1 mile from the fire station). Oh, and no stairs to worry about with a move. Not necessarily looking for un-breachable, not looking for 70 gun capacity, just looking for something that is tougher than average.

Or is it a pipe dream on my end at that price?

TiA, RR

(Indiana County)

Default Re: What combo safes have OK steel under $1500?

Personally, I'd find a GSA-Approved safe with a Class 5 rating. Combo lock would be a mechanical Sergeant & Greenleaf version (combination can be changed with a key).

With a mechanical combo lock you don't have to worry about the battery going dead.

(Berks County)

The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Lehigh County)

I have a Cabelas 27 gun safe that's actually a Liberty Franklin series and is registered with and guaranteed by Liberty. They put them on sale occasionally and I think I paid about $1699 for mine but Cabelas gives a 5% veterans discount so it puts it in your price range. It has an 8M10 rating, whatever that is, and 75 minute fire protection at 1200 deg. I think it's a pretty good bang for the buck.

This is the one. Look for it to go on sale if you have time.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...6.uts?slotId=8
    Last edited by oldengineer; March 14th, 2019 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Add Content
    NRA Life Member

(Susquehanna County)

$1000 dollar range you cannot go wrong with a Liberty.. look on Facebook Marketplace and you can often find slightly used ones..

The Cannon safes at TSC are a good deal - when on sale! but I would take a Used Liberty over a new TSC Cannon safe for quality.

Look on Facebook Marketplace.. here is a nice Liberty in Wellsboro PA https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2279534079054/
    Last edited by Parrisk; March 14th, 2019 at 10:47 AM.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    $1000 dollar range you cannot go wrong with a Liberty.. look on Facebook Marketplace and you can often find slightly used ones..

The Cannon safes at TSC are a good deal - when on sale! but I would take a Used Liberty over a new TSC Cannon safe for quality.
    I looked at Canon at TSC before I went to Cabelas and got mine. World of difference in quality IMO. The door on the floor model at TSC wobbled. My better one has 14 active bolts. One thing though - mine does have the S&G electronc lock but it's the better quality one and I have had no problems with it.
    NRA Life Member

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    I've been debating the safe/cabinet topic for some time and several recent events suggest the need for a legitimate safe, but I haven't seen anything that quite fits the bill just yet. Most of my research is leaning either towards 'what not to buy' or 'thousands over my budget'. Found a handful of options from TSC and privately (Stack On Elite, Mesa, Liberty USA series) that seem sorta OK, but look like they emphasize fire protection over steel thickness.

Are there any offerings with combination locks, long lugs and decently thick gauge steel that are under $1,000? Under $1,500? Combo lock is a must in my mind, and the thicker the steel body and longer the lugs the better. Capacity is very negotiable from 10-???, and I know the saying about buying more than you need . And fire protection is preferred, but not mandatory (unfinished cement surroundings, and I'm 1 mile from the fire station). Oh, and no stairs to worry about with a move. Not necessarily looking for un-breachable, not looking for 70 gun capacity, just looking for something that is tougher than average.

Or is it a pipe dream on my end at that price?

TiA, RR
    Liberty safes. Piestracks is a dealer. Sometime around June they have a safe sale.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Erie County)

What ever the budget, multiply by 1.5 (1.75 even better).

I learned this when I sold stereo systems in the 80's.

The difference, stereos are easier to steal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Northumberland County)

All, thanks again for the input. Settled on a Liberty and very happy with it so far. Did check with Piestracks and they seemed decent enough to work with, but went through Richland Shooters due to familiarity and a great deal.