I've been debating the safe/cabinet topic for some time and several recent events suggest the need for a legitimate safe, but I haven't seen anything that quite fits the bill just yet. Most of my research is leaning either towards 'what not to buy' or 'thousands over my budget'. Found a handful of options from TSC and privately (Stack On Elite, Mesa, Liberty USA series) that seem sorta OK, but look like they emphasize fire protection over steel thickness.

Are there any offerings with combination locks, long lugs and decently thick gauge steel that are under $1,000? Under $1,500? Combo lock is a must in my mind, and the thicker the steel body and longer the lugs the better. Capacity is very negotiable from 10-???, and I know the saying about buying more than you need . And fire protection is preferred, but not mandatory (unfinished cement surroundings, and I'm 1 mile from the fire station). Oh, and no stairs to worry about with a move. Not necessarily looking for un-breachable, not looking for 70 gun capacity, just looking for something that is tougher than average.

Or is it a pipe dream on my end at that price?

TiA, RR