Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Franklin County)

Default New to firearms and looking for a good start.

Hello, this is my first post and do not exactly know where to post this.

A little history, I have shot 2 guns in my life time a Glock 19 and a 22 LR. I just retired from the military after 20 years and the only gun I shot there was a 50 cal mounted at the back of an Aircraft Carrier.

I am now getting settled in PA and am looking for a good starting place to learn, shoot, and practice firearms in terms of safety and protection of the house hold.

I have been reading tons of forums and tons of articles, but really think getting the info from true PA residents might be the best option for me to get a solid start. So with that in mind, hello. Any and all advice will be accepted on how to tackle the start of firearms and respect for the Second Amendment.

Respectfully,

Skullblade789

(Berks County)

Default Re: New to firearms and looking for a good start.

Your far away from me, I know of places around the philly area. Look for an nra instructor in your area and give them a call. First steps programs are good. NRA has basic and advanced self/home protection but for real training you will want to go beyond that.

By the way I tell everyone that a good accurate air pistol is the best way I know of to learn the basics of pistol craft.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Monroe County)

Cool Re: New to firearms and looking for a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by skullblade789 View Post

A little history, I have shot 2 guns in my life time a Glock 19 and a 22 LR. I just retired from the military after 20 years and the only gun I shot there was a 50 cal mounted at the back of an Aircraft Carrier.

I am now getting settled in PA and am looking for a good starting place to learn, shoot, and practice firearms in terms of safety and protection of the house hold.

I have been reading tons of forums and tons of articles, but really think getting the info from true PA residents might be the best option for me to get a solid start. So with that in mind, hello. Any and all advice will be accepted on how to tackle the start of firearms and respect for the Second Amendment.

Respectfully,

Skullblade789
    Boy you had a boring time in the Navy then! (sorry I had to)
    I had the .50 off the side of CV64 and got qualed on M16/14/9/79. Also 2 got issued 2 SECNAV Trophy M1's.

1- check out the Navy Markmanship Team being Ret you can still do the matches and they provide the ammo. http://usnmt.org/
    < lol 10 years and 50lb ago
    Check out the events and competition forums for great things to go to and learn. Too bad your not near me I could train you up and once your up to it make you a trainer.
    I got on the Shooting Sports Committee of my local BSA council and got my NRA certs for rifle/pistol/shotgun and also Chief Range Safety Officer and run ranges and events for them.

-AT1(AW) ret
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Franklin County)

Yeah it wass good times, but being IT had to be available at all times. Glad I did it, got a good retirement gig, but man it was a lot of work.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by skullblade789 View Post

Respectfully,

Skullblade789
    I'm in Waynesboro as well.
    If you aren't familiar with handguns get some training. A local place to visit is HillTop Arms (http://www.hilltoparms.com/). They have a shop in town, they offer training and they have an indoor range. I've been in their shop a few times and to the range a few times. I'm not necessarily endorsing them, just throwing them out there as an option because they are close by. My wife attended their training to get her Utah carry permit, she was not unhappy with it. To use their range you have to either demonstrate safe firearms handling ability for them or have attended their training.
    Next step is to apply for your LTCF (License to carry firearm) which allows you to legally carry concealed or in a vehicle. Even if you have little interest in carrying every day it will still make range trips easier and more convenient.
    Next step is find a range that is less expensive than HillTop Arms range, The closest range is the Waynesboro Fish and Game club. Yearly membership is $40 if I recall. They have a decent outdoor range suitable for pistol or rifle (10yds through 220yds). The biggest drawback with Waynesboro fish/game is they don't allow guests and each family member must have a full membership. I've been a member there for a few years, nice range but the "no guests" thing really bugs me.
    Let me know if you have any questions about any of this. Once you get some access to a range get with me and we can test drive a few of my guns (38/357 revolvers, 380s, 9mm Glock, S&W, AR15)
    The Hostler

(Berks County)

If you want to join the crowd get yourself a Glock. If you want to join a proud crowd get yourself and H&K or two.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Northampton County)

Thank you for your service and welcome to the forum. You can't go wrong with the Glock 19, that is if you liked it when you shot it. I would venture a guess that any member on this forum that owns Glocks has a 19. First stop is the Sheriff's office where you live to get your LTCF depending on where you live it could take awhile to get it. Then you can look into training. enjoy and be safe.
    National Handgun Reciprocity
    End Gun Free Zones
    Fast & Furious show us the documents

(Delaware County)

Thank you for your service, Fleet Sailor.
    Our brethren are already in the Field, why stand we here Idle?
    Si vis pacem, Para bellum
    To every man upon this earth, death cometh, soon or late

(Franklin County)

http://www.chambersburgpistolandrifleclub.com/home.html

Not as close as Waynesboro Fish & Game, but an NRA affiliated club and guests are allowed. Their site banner is still showing membership as being open (we have a member limit). I've emailed one of the officers to confirm and would be happy to take you in as my guest to see the grounds if you're interested in seeing it first-hand before making a decision.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

First bit of advice. Get a license to carry a firearm. (Ltcf). It costs $20 and will make your life easier. As you research the reasons why will become clear. Go to your sheriffs office and apply.

Welcome to the forum.

Edit, I see JerryG already beat me to this advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast