Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new resident

(Lehigh County)

Default new resident

hello to all i will be moving to this great state shortly lehigh valley area ,i have been a new york state carry permit holder over 30 years , i have a few questions if any one could help me, can you recomend a ffl gun dealer in the area ,i need to be schooled in what i can and cant do and also apply for state permit, any help would greatly be appreciated thank you

(Berks County)

Default Re: new resident

Welcome to PA, hope you enjoy your stay. There is a group named US Law Shield, who gives seminars for about $10.00 that would be a good start. They can be found on fakebook https://www.facebook.com/USLawShield/.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

Welcome to the PAFOA.

I am sure the Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton guys will be along to help you get situated.

The easiest way to keep up with the PAFOA threads is by clicking 'Quick Links' and then clicking 'Today's Posts' in the drop down menu.
    You can receive updates of subscribed threads on your 'Settings' page by clicking 'Thread Tools' and then clicking 'Subscribe to this Thread' in the drop down menu.

We need every gun owner to help protect our gun rights by voting pro gun in every election every year.
    Please make sure you are registered to vote here: https://www.pavoterservices.pa.gov/P...plication.aspx
    Pro gun voter guides are posted in PAFOA before every election here: http://forum.pafoa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Please also join the National Rifle Association (NRA) and Gun Owners of America (GOA) to help protect your Second Amendment right to own a gun.
    Join NRA here: https://membership.nra.org/Join/Annuals
    Join GOA here: https://gunowners.org/donate/donations/join/

Best of luck to you.
    Bern-
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Just far enough from Philly, Pennsylvania

As a fellow NY transplant I'll start by saying welcome and congratulations! If you enjoy firearms get ready because PA is much better than NY. The none of Crazy-Cuomo's "SAFE"act ... so that means cheap mail order ammo, private long gun sales, no 7rnd max in a mag, no 4-8 month wait every time you buy a new pistol and the list goes on. As soon as you have your PA driver's license head down to your county sheriff's office and apply. The process is pretty quick, I had my PA LTCF in hand in less than 2 weeks.

(Berks County)

Yup, welcome to the land of freedom, for now..
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Indiana County)

After you move here, don't mail back your New York State Carry Permit. It'll drive them up a wall. They'll even throw a temper tantrum via the U.S. Postal System.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by andy p View Post
    hello to all i will be moving to this great state shortly lehigh valley area ,i have been a new york state carry permit holder over 30 years , i have a few questions if any one could help me, can you recomend a ffl gun dealer in the area ,i need to be schooled in what i can and cant do and also apply for state permit, any help would greatly be appreciated thank you
    FFLs are NOT a good source of information for what you can and cannot do with firearms. I'm already a felon in the eye's of one local FFL (but, I'm not, honestly).
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Indiana County)

Your new State Representative's office (and possibly even your new County Sheriff's office) will have a free publication for you entitled Pennsylvania Gun Laws (or something similar).

Or, you can go on-line and Google Pennsylvania Gun Laws. Unlike New York and other states, here in Pennsylvania everything is essentially in one place, Title 18 Chapter 61 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes (https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...&div=0&chpt=61). There are one or two items in other locations (e.g., Title 18, Sections 912 & 913, covering where firearms may not be carried), but if you have a question, any question, ask it here (staying within this thread so that we know it's you). Oh, one question not to ask is, "What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?"

(Northampton County)

Yeah, don't expect all FFLs, a cops or a sheriffs to offer up good advice. You are going to have to do a lot of it yourself. Even talking to old gun people can be filed with opinions and inaccuracies. There are a few good sources of info, and all of them can be dug up in PAFOA, so you found the best resource. The other good thing about posting questions in here, is when someone tells you something inaccurate, they will be corrected:) Here is a good starting post, it is to an old brochure. It hasn't been updated in a while, but things haven't changed much either.

Review this, and when you are in the area, we can meet at a local club and you can take the test:)

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=113178
    Last edited by JDshoots; March 13th, 2019 at 01:21 PM.

(Susquehanna County)

Welcome and enjoy freedom.. Get your PA Driver's license then visit your county Sheriffs office and submit for your License to Carry Firearms (LTCF)

LTCF is required to carry a handgun concealed, or on your person/in vehicle while using a conveyance (any thing other than open carry while walking), or within the boundaries of Philadelphia

Currently the only valid laws for firearms and places of carry are governed by Federal Law (Schools, Government bldgs, etc) and State Law makers.. no local governments can enact valid laws governing firearms. "18 PA 6120"

Private property can regulate firearms (malls, theaters, etc) and you can be charged with trespass if you do not remove yourself or your firearm when told to..
    (in NY just entering private property with a firearm when not allowed is automatic trespass if caught)

While not a good idea, there is no BAC rule with firearms. so you can take it in a bar and drink.. bad idea as we all know firearms and intoxicants do not mix well

Be in Harrisburg on May 6th for the Gun Rights Rally to let our representatives know we do not appreciate them trying to impose California like firearms laws in violation of "18 PA 6120" Preemption
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast