Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Hello from new member (with a question)

Hello people,

I know I should start with my hello in the general forum, but I will be posing a question at the end. First, let me say I am a looooong time lurker, and am very impressed with this forum. When I say forum, I know it is the people who make up this forum, so I am very impressed with the knowledge and care you have for one another.

The reason it took me a while to sign up, I seem to have very little time to myself and don't want to be someone who signs up, says hello, and that's the end of it. I am very interested in "being" involved, as I greatly care for my 2nd Amendment rights. Since I have been finding myself reading this forum more and more, I decided this was as good as a time as any to jump in.

Enough about that and a little about me. I am in the PA Air National Guard in Willow Grove. I recently moved to North Wales from South Philadelphia with my wife.
    My question is, although I am currently undecided about open carry, (I do support people exercising their rights) my wife who, thanks to me (pat on the back!) is now supportive of 2nd A. rights, is very interested in open carry. I was curious if anyone who lives near the Montgomery township area openly carries and if so how have they been recieved doing so? If not, how would I go about trying to "educate" LEO in the area BEFORE she starts to openly carry. I was reading the thread about the encounter in Home Depot, and was thinking maybe I could be proactive with the local LEO to prevent an encounter as my wife fully plans to open carry when she recieves her first handgun (at Christmas...shhhhhhhh don't tell her.) Thanks in advance for any information...

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Hello from new member (with a question)

I believe on the OC/CC forum there is a training memo that has been sent to nearly all if not all depts but you could start with that. Print out some flyers and familiarize yourself with the laws/your rights and have your wife do the same. Go to some OC events that members here coordinate. It's nice to ease into it a bit and be sure you/your wife are doing things entirely on your comfort level. It is great being around others who will support you either way (OC or CC) so you've come to the right place IMO.

(Luzerne County)

Welcome to the forum.

Here is where the flier is.
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...carry-you.html

The flier is also on this site. The training memo is also on it.
    http://www.paopencarry.org/downloads.html
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Susquehanna County)

WELCOME!!!!
    Mikey

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Welcome! I think there is a thread around here somewhere (I'll look for it when I have more time) where one of our members in Warminster ended up having a full strike force show up on his front porch for OC. At one point the words M16 pointed at your head and some other stuff came out. I don't know what the resolution was, but it didn't turn out really well for him. Here is the thread http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...ur-rights.html.

Now I am not trying to scare you from OC. I OC pretty regularly these days. I just wanted to make you aware of the problem he had. If we don't exercise all of our rights we will loose them. Just because we can get hassled doesn't mean we should by default give up our rights to avoid that hassle. If we do then we loose.

Oh yeah, thanks for your service!

(Philadelphia County)

Grab a chair have a drink.
    Welcome!

Al

(Mercer County)

Welcome and enjoy

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Berks County)

Welcome to the Forum!

The reason it took me a while to sign up, I seem to have very little time to myself and don't want to be someone who signs up, says hello, and that's the end of it.
    Participate when you can, nobody will hold nothing against you.

My question is, although I am currently undecided about open carry, (I do support people exercising their rights) my wife who, thanks to me (pat on the back!) is now supportive of 2nd A. rights, is very interested in open carry.
    If you are apprehensive or unsure at all, start with CCW (you didn't say if you had your LTCF or not), you and the Mrs. get your LTCF's, some training if you want, and get comfy carrying concealed first. Not only that, there is the legal issue of a loaded gun in a car without having a LTCF.

I still carry mostly concealed myself, open carry probably 1/3 of the time.

Again, welcome to the PAFOA!
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Berks County)

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, in my sig you'll find links to the sites where we have a compiled list, by county, of which LE Agencies have recieved a copy of the training memo. Sending a copy to your local LEOs, even if they've already recieved one, is a good place to start.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Bucks County)

Hey welcome to the forum. I live only a few minutes away from you, and have OC'ed in several places in this vicninty in the last month. (Doylestown, Chalfont, and Warrington) I haven't had any problems, and only a few stares/ double takes. Just make sure you know the law and your rights, and you should be fine!
    -Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast