Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Century arms WSAR 10 vs VSKA

Didnt want to start a new thread, and the "AK sticky" thread at the top is several years old. I know the WASR is a popular choice here, but I'm curious as to how they compare to the Zastava- made ZPAP AK-47. I've never owned an AK-style rifle before, and there's not much price difference between the two, just curious as to what everyone's thoughts are. I have a Zastava revolver I got years ago thats built like a sledgehammer. I guess thats kind of what I'm looking for in an AK- something that feels (and smells!) like its from the Eastern Bloc

Any thoughts?
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Montgomery County)

Just my $0.02, I would stay away from Century built weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by DrillNFill View Post
    Didnt want to start a new thread, and the "AK sticky" thread at the top is several years old. I know the WASR is a popular choice here, but I'm curious as to how they compare to the Zastava- made ZPAP AK-47. I've never owned an AK-style rifle before, and there's not much price difference between the two, just curious as to what everyone's thoughts are. I have a Zastava revolver I got years ago thats built like a sledgehammer. I guess thats kind of what I'm looking for in an AK- something that feels (and smells!) like its from the Eastern Bloc

Any thoughts?
    Have you or do you watch AK74 Operators Union on youtube? Rob just started a 5K round review on this new ZPAP rifle. He did the other PAP rifles in the past and there were some issues one with a cracked receiver. I’ve never owned one myself. They are CHF barrels however are not chrome lined like the WASR, they also use a different pattern stock and Handguard then other traditional AKM’s.

Personally I’m a WASR fan for an entry level AK. I’ve had 3 and all were great.

(Bucks County)

Another vote for wasr, or go find a used chinese/Egyptian/hungarian/bulgarian. Avoid century built rifles.

I do have a zastava OPAP though that is a great gun, has the bulged rpk front trunion. Never a hiccup.
    To disarm the people...[i]s the most effectual way to enslave them."

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrillNFill View Post

Any thoughts?
    Well, Ive been out of the AK market for some time, just started doing some trading/seling/swapping some of the unused safe queens I have . Just picked up a very nice Yugo M70 Underfolder O-PAP with the heavy receiver and barrel. I am amazed at the quality and finish over my WASR 10 and by the way both century builds and both run flawlessly. So century haters are drinking too much internet Kool Aid, ( my Century FN FAL (R1A1) runs perfectly also)
    What amazes me is the price AK style rifles are getting lately, since getting the Yugo I'd thought of selling the WASR 10 , but after seeing what the going prices are , I may wait for the next panic maybe ? 10 years ago I never thought one could get a good serviceable rack grade AR for half the price of an AK ....WTF!

GO with the WASR if you want, they may not be the prettiest girl at the dance but will perform for you when needed !

Last I checked Century didn’t build the O-PAP they imported them like most other Yugo AK’s with their original receivers.

Century doesn’t build the WASR the Romanian CUIGR arsenal does, again Century is the importer.

Century’s all made in the USA stuff can be very hit or miss and it’s well documented. Add a crappy warranty and shit customer service which I’ve personally have dealt with and it’s easy to choose something they don’t build.
    Last edited by Hodgie; January 2nd, 2020 at 09:31 PM.

(Montgomery County)

The PSAk47 is a top contender for entry level AKs these days. Catch one with the QD stock for $539 lately... Lifetime warranty and good service if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Well, that was 10 years ago.
    10 years ago - Nov 2009 to be exact - was the great "Arsenal Purge". That was when vendors were selling off their old stock of Arsenals at $500 a pop to make way for new models. I was just recovering from being sick and had $50k in medical bills to pay for, so I missed my shot. Finally got a WASR for $600 a few years ago and it's been great. Still salty about missing out on a cheap Arsenal, though.

(Lebanon County)

Ill stick with the sar1s.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Last I checked Century didn’t build the O-PAP they imported them like most other Yugo AK’s with their original receivers.

Century doesn’t build the WASR the Romanian CUIGR arsenal does, again Century is the importer.

Century’s all made in the USA stuff can be very hit or miss and it’s well documented. Add a crappy warranty and shit customer service which I’ve personally have dealt with and it’s easy to choose something they don’t build.
    You are correct, from what I'm seeing in The AK files and other places the Yugo M70 O-Pap and N-Pap were built by either DCI (Dan Coonan Ind.) or Two River Arms using Nodak Spud receivers and Green Mountain barrels. the word on the netz is these are probably some of the best US made AK's out there. I know mine is very nice !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast