Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: OC gets gun taken working on car.

I'm guessing you meant "spoiling snatches"...
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Bucks County)

Gotta say, that does it better!
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I'm guessing you meant short shirt.
    Pretty sure he was comparing your victim blaming to the way some may victim blame a woman for being raped.

The reality is that this is not the black-and-white situation you are treating it as. Your points are not without validity, but they're also not anything approaching the absolutes you seem to consider them to be.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    Pretty sure he was comparing your victim blaming to the way some may victim blame a woman for being raped.

The reality is that this is not the black-and-white situation you are treating it as. Your points are not without validity, but they're also not anything approaching the absolutes you seem to consider them to be.
    Exactly.

Dude was "wearing a sexy skirt" and got raped when he wasn't looking.

COULD he have done things better? Probably.
    Is he the victim or is he supposed to bear the blame for what a criminal does?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

I am looking at a broad view of what can occur when an antisocial criminal who needs a gun spots a source. Since that is a rare occurrence, and I recognize that, there are no absolutes with respect to the posted situation. I was expressing generalities.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Erie County)

Better to be unseen then seen.

Quote Originally Posted by ItchyTick View Post
    Better to be unseen then seen.
    I don't know. When I'm crossing the street, I definitely prefer to be seen.
    AK-47s for EVERYONE!!!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Exactly.

Dude was "wearing a sexy skirt" and got raped when he wasn't looking.

COULD he have done things better? Probably.
    Is he the victim or is he supposed to bear the blame for what a criminal does?
    I don't think anyone is blaming the victim. I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I believe those of us who have pointed out - tersely, in my case - that the victim contributed to being targeted by treating his weapon in a casual, laissez-faire manner, are able to recognize bad decisions when we see them.

If a pedestrian crosses the road and doesn't look both ways, getting struck by a vehicle who's driver was texting while driving, the driver is responsible for the incident, but the pedestrian played a part. If a woman leaves her purse on the driver's seat of her car when she goes in the house for the night and it gets stolen by a passing thief, the thief is the criminal, but her negligence created the opportunity.

Recognizing these while still wanting to hold the at-fault party accountable is not victim blaming, it's common sense, and certainly not worthy of the vitriol and hate.

Immediately comparing it to something as heinous as rape is disingenuous at best. The sorts of crimes we're talking about are not remotely amongst the same league as violating the sanctity of a woman against her will, so please, let's stop pretending it is. Telling us that we'd blame a woman for her own rape because we recognize that the victim of a petty thief could have been more responsible with their valuables is exceptionally insulting. If you're under the impression that they're one and the same, we have a fundamentally different view of the psychology of crime.
    Junior

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    I don't think anyone is blaming the victim. I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I believe those of us who have pointed out - tersely, in my case - that the victim contributed to being targeted by treating his weapon in a casual, laissez-faire manner, are able to recognize bad decisions when we see them.

If a pedestrian crosses the road and doesn't look both ways, getting struck by a vehicle who's driver was texting while driving, the driver is responsible for the incident, but the pedestrian played a part. If a woman leaves her purse on the driver's seat of her car when she goes in the house for the night and it gets stolen by a passing thief, the thief is the criminal, but her negligence created the opportunity.

Recognizing these while still wanting to hold the at-fault party accountable is not victim blaming, it's common sense, and certainly not worthy of the vitriol and hate.

Immediately comparing it to something as heinous as rape is disingenuous at best. The sorts of crimes we're talking about are not remotely amongst the same league as violating the sanctity of a woman against her will, so please, let's stop pretending it is. Telling us that we'd blame a woman for her own rape because we recognize that the victim of a petty thief could have been more responsible with their valuables is exceptionally insulting. If you're under the impression that they're one and the same, we have a fundamentally different view of the psychology of crime.
    Yea the gun was taken and then used to try to take the rightful owners life.
    You are being woefully and willfully ignorant with your virtue signaling.
    I think murder is a little more heinous than rape. How about the sanctity of life?

(Bucks County)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast