Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Carrying Philly with non resident permit.

Hello,

I’ve tried to get a clear answer on this, and I think I’m good, but is there any issue with me ccing in Philly? I’m from NY but got my non resident permit a few years back. I always carry when going through PA but I’m unsure if Philly is different.

Also, is there any issue with carrying in a hospital?

Thank you.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Carrying Philly with non resident permit.

PA's LTCF is a state license. Philly is part of PA(actually should be part of MD by original charters).

So, if you have a LTCF, you will be legal in Philly.

Hospitals themselves aren't off limits, but private property rights prevail. They can bar carrying via trespass laws.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by sefour View Post
    Hello,

I’ve tried to get a clear answer on this, and I think I’m good, but is there any issue with me ccing in Philly? I’m from NY but got my non resident permit a few years back. I always carry when going through PA but I’m unsure if Philly is different.

Also, is there any issue with carrying in a hospital?

Thank you.
    Legally, you're fine. If I recall, the license itself doesn't even say "non-resident", only the actual printed address reveals that. The only potential "issue" could be some idiot LE who says something false like "we don't accept non-resident licenses in Philly." Hell, there are hundreds of residents who believe Philly has "their own" license, which is also incorrect.

Again, legally speaking, hospitals are legal to carry in. That said, private property rules apply, and you'll be hard pressed to find a hospital that isn't pretty conspicuously posted as a weapons-free zone. Ignoring the postings carries the risk of a trespassing charge. Most facilities do not have detection/inspection beyond the emergency department.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Thanks, this seems in line with what I’ve read.

As far as private property laws is this correct: “no gun” signs aren’t strictly legally enforceable. But if the property owner/staff saw a handgun on you and asked you to leave you would have to.

That’s how it is in NY at least. Basically unless it’s specifically state mandated or federal (e.g. post office etc.) you can technically carry there but will likely be asked to leave if you’re discovered to be carrying.

Most of my time is going to be spent in a hospital and I’d prefer not to leave my handgun in the hotel if possible.

(Franklin County)

Thanks, this seems in line with what I’ve read.

As far as private property laws is this correct: “no gun” signs aren’t strictly legally enforceable. But if the property owner/staff saw a handgun on you and asked you to leave you would have to.

That’s how it is in NY at least. Basically unless it’s specifically state mandated or federal (e.g. post office etc.) you can technically carry there but will likely be asked to leave if you’re discovered to be carrying.

Most of my time is going to be spent in a hospital and I’d prefer not to leave my handgun in the hotel if possible.
    There has been some suggestion by legal minds that if the sign is conspicuously posted, you could potentially be arrested for ignoring the sign, even without a formal request to leave being made. Chances are small, but NOT non-existent. I've never seen or heard of it happening, but if it were going to in PA, Philly would be at the top of my list of places to bet on.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Philadelphia County)

Any hospital in particular? The trauma centers that service most shooting victims are a little more strict than the others.

It would be at a conference at CHOP. If it’s an issue I’ll just leave it behind at the hotel and lock it up.

(Philadelphia County)

It would be at a conference at CHOP. If it’s an issue I’ll just leave it behind at the hotel and lock it up.
    I am going to send you a Private Message a little later when I get home.