Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Reloading Class/Thread

Since its not too far away, have you spoken to anyone at Kings? They occasionally do reloading classes and I have overheard him giving advice and talking people through reloading questions.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dlish View Post
    Since its not too far away, have you spoken to anyone at Kings? They occasionally do reloading classes and I have overheard him giving advice and talking people through reloading questions.
    I know of them, thanks for the tip, they frequent the Oaks show and I'll hunt them down.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

OK, back to my misplaced reloading thread. I've got a Dillon 550, took a class at King's and am getting close to reloading my first round(s) and have a few more questions. I have a lb of Hodgson P-38 powder. The bullets I'm starting with are 115 FMJ. The Hodgon website has loading specs for Speer 115 JHP, would the specs be the same between them? I have the powder dispenser dialed in at their 'minimum' for the round, is that good or should I go up some? They also have a minimum OAL, which is shorter than the Winchester White Box that I have handy. What should I use as a number for OAL? At King's I was told to insert a mock up round into the barrel of the intended pistol for use and shorten until it doesn't get stuck in there. This sounds a little tedious but I can do it if that's what needs to be done.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    OK, back to my misplaced reloading thread. I've got a Dillon 550, took a class at King's and am getting close to reloading my first round(s) and have a few more questions. I have a lb of Hodgson P-38 powder. The bullets I'm starting with are 115 FMJ. The Hodgon website has loading specs for Speer 115 JHP, would the specs be the same between them? I have the powder dispenser dialed in at their 'minimum' for the round, is that good or should I go up some? They also have a minimum OAL, which is shorter than the Winchester White Box that I have handy. What should I use as a number for OAL? At King's I was told to insert a mock up round into the barrel of the intended pistol for use and shorten until it doesn't get stuck in there. This sounds a little tedious but I can do it if that's what needs to be done.
    Does the bullet manufacturer provide loading data? That would be the best place to start. Absent that, use info for the bullet that best matches the profile of the bullet you have. If you are starting at the minimum charge you should have plenty of room for error.

As far as sneaking up on the OAL, that's not as tedious as you may think. Just keeping bumping the bullet until it chambers properly. Shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes. A quick search shows OAL in the neighborhood of 1.125".

Go slow, work up and you should be fine.

(Wyoming County)

Who makes your 115fmjs? SORRY I missed that "Speer" mention

I don't have load data for your powder, but my Lyman manual says that it mirrors Win 231. *My HORNADY load manual- looking at a Hornady 115FMJ over Win231 looks like max load would be 4.7gn and a C.O.L of 1.100" *This is for Hornady bullets

I think my brother has a Speer manual I'll text him and see if he's home. *Disregard I was wrong yet again
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; November 24th, 2019 at 02:51 PM.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Who makes your 115fmjs? SORRY I missed that "Speer" mention

I don't have load data for your powder, but my Lyman manual says that it mirrors Win 231. *My HORNADY load manual- looking at a Hornady 115FMJ over Win231 looks like max load would be 4.7gn and a C.O.L of 1.100" *This is for Hornady bullets

I think my brother has a Speer manual I'll text him and see if he's home. *Disregard I was wrong yet again
    No, I don't know who made these bullets, I bought them a long time ago. The Hogdson website only gives specs for the Speer JHP. And supposedly the Hogdson is Winchester 231 with a different label on the bottle and $2/lb cheaper.

(Wyoming County)

No, I don't know who made these bullets, I bought them a long time ago. The Hogdson website only gives specs for the Speer JHP. And supposedly the Hogdson is Winchester 231 with a different label on the bottle and $2/lb cheaper.
    Ohhhhh- my reading comprehension is terrible today.

FWIW I found Speer data online, but no reference to HP38 or Win231. https://www.speer-ammo.com/downloads...__115_rev1.pdf
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Ohhhhh- my reading comprehension is terrible today.

FWIW I found Speer data online, but no reference to HP38 or Win231. https://www.speer-ammo.com/downloads...__115_rev1.pdf
    Actually, the Win231 is listed there with a min/max of 4.4/4.9 but the Hodgdon site gives a 4.7/5.1 with the same OAL of 1.125 on the Speer JHP. So it sounds like starting with a 4.7 should be safe, now I just need chronograph.

(Allegheny County)

4-4.5 grains of hp38 will cycle your pistol and be pleasant to shoot.
    hp38/w231 is all i use to load non magnum handguns.

I use 4 grains for 115 and 124 grain bullets.

just do it and shoot it. it really isn't that complicated.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9mm-Luger-P...sAAOxy4kpQ~pwD

Data from most bullet and powder makers all in one book. Data is somewhat dated , not all the latest powders are in it. But it'll still give the answers you seek.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast