Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Reloading Class/Thread

Next up...looking for input on scale suggestions. Then I can study prices and scout myself out a decent deal on one.

Thanks
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Next up...looking for input on scale suggestions. Then I can study prices and scout myself out a decent deal on one.

Thanks
    Since you are using a progressive with a powder dispenser, can I assume that you are more interested in just checking/verifying that you get the powder throw set right?

If that is the case I have no problem recommending a digital scale that I use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BDOHNA...4-0d1e6ef84246

*If you were looking to tune your loads and wanted very precise measurement I would go with something else
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Since you are using a progressive with a powder dispenser, can I assume that you are more interested in just checking/verifying that you get the powder throw set right?

If that is the case I have no problem recommending a digital scale that I use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BDOHNA...4-0d1e6ef84246

*If you were looking to tune your loads and wanted very precise measurement I would go with something else
    What kind of something else? I know where there is a balance type scale for a pretty good price. Which is better, balance or digital? I also shoot .308 and eventually will work on those as well.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

I just picked this up for quick confirmations, bullet weight, and to double check the cheapo beam scale that came with my rock chucker kit.

https://www.natchezss.com/hornady-g2...nic-scale.html

Seems to work.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    What kind of something else? I know where there is a balance type scale for a pretty good price. Which is better, balance or digital? I also shoot .308 and eventually will work on those as well.
    My digital (the same I recommended to you) is not very good when you are trying to trickle a charge into it (too erratic and I often overshoot).

To solve my desire for more precise measurement and peace of mind - I bought a RCBS 505 beam scale (I just looked and it's no longer produced). Through my research I came to the conclusion that many view beam scales as "more accurate". Call me crazy but I frequently cross check many of my powder throws using both my digital & my beam, unless I'm loading .223 which I use a Lee Powder drop for to ease bulk loading.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I just picked this up for quick confirmations, bullet weight, and to double check the cheapo beam scale that came with my rock chucker kit.

https://www.natchezss.com/hornady-g2...nic-scale.html

Seems to work.
    Actually it is more common to use a beam scale to check the electronic ones. You should have a beam scale for starters. A set of check weights is good to have also. The problem with beam scales is they are mechanical and depending on the damping mechanism, are slow to use. With a decent powder measure you use the scale to set it up, then check the weight every so many loads to insure it is on.

An electronic scale is faster to use, easier to read, but can have calibration drift from use, so needs to be checked more often. If you want to be 'precise' and weigh every load, an electronic scale is handy.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Actually it is more common to use a beam scale to check the electronic ones. You should have a beam scale for starters. A set of check weights is good to have also. The problem with beam scales is they are mechanical and depending on the damping mechanism, are slow to use. With a decent powder measure you use the scale to set it up, then check the weight every so many loads to insure it is on.

An electronic scale is faster to use, easier to read, but can have calibration drift from use, so needs to be checked more often. If you want to be 'precise' and weigh every load, an electronic scale is handy.
    They'll check each other.

(Lancaster County)

For the 308 it depends on your range that you plan to utilize.

Short range stuff will not show bad SD/ES but once you stretch out, those effects will start showing their ugly heads. So if you don't plan on going long range, most of the cheap electronic scales will work just fine. You will get better results focusing on brass prep/neck tension.

I run a chargemaster lite and its made my life so much easier loading wise. Previously I had one of those digital scales and would trickle into it which would be painfully slow. But again, even the chargemaster is I believe +/- .02 grain.

Which in my case is roughly 4-5 kernels of 4350 which could swing MV ~+/- 11fps . You run that out to 1000yd and you already lost 2in.

Rabbit hole, indeed.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Wyoming County)

LOL it is a rabbit hole.

For instance on a digital scale you are looking for an number, and that number can often fluctuate +/-.2 I'm no math genius but isn't that a spread of .4 grains
    but the number is the number.

On my beam scale I'm waiting for two lines to meet with a 1/16th inch gap between the two lines. I can't tell you how many times I've asked myself - "are those two lines really lined up"?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    LOL it is a rabbit hole.

For instance on a digital scale you are looking for an number, and that number can often fluctuate +/-.2 I'm no math genius but isn't that a spread of .4 grains
    but the number is the number.

On my beam scale I'm waiting for two lines to meet with a 1/16th inch gap between the two lines. I can't tell you how many times I've asked myself - "are those two lines really lined up"?
    One of the cooler setups I have seen with a beam scale was using one of the cheap digital scopes from amazon to enlarge the needle area for ease of seeing
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast