Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Reloading Class/Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    OK, back to my misplaced reloading thread. I've got a Dillon 550, took a class at King's and am getting close to reloading my first round(s) and have a few more questions. I have a lb of Hodgson P-38 powder. The bullets I'm starting with are 115 FMJ. The Hodgon website has loading specs for Speer 115 JHP, would the specs be the same between them? I have the powder dispenser dialed in at their 'minimum' for the round, is that good or should I go up some? They also have a minimum OAL, which is shorter than the Winchester White Box that I have handy. What should I use as a number for OAL? At King's I was told to insert a mock up round into the barrel of the intended pistol for use and shorten until it doesn't get stuck in there. This sounds a little tedious but I can do it if that's what needs to be done.
    The minimum OAL will be different for hollow point vs fmj due to the different profile of the respective bullets. Chamber fit is one issue. Potential overpressure due to too short an OAL is of more concern. You may be okay if you use the data for a bullet of identical weight and profile from a different manufacturer. Then you can chrony your first loads to make sure you’re in the ballpark. But, since this is your first reloading experience, why not be on the safe side and use a bullet and powder combo that you have published load data for.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Reloading Class/Thread

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    The minimum OAL will be different for hollow point vs fmj due to the different profile of the respective bullets. Chamber fit is one issue. Potential overpressure due to too short an OAL is of more concern. You may be okay if you use the data for a bullet of identical weight and profile from a different manufacturer. Then you can chrony your first loads to make sure you’re in the ballpark. But, since this is your first reloading experience, why not be on the safe side and use a bullet and powder combo that you have published load data for.
    That sounds safe and logical to me.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789