Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Reloading Class/Thread

Set accuracy goals for yourself and stick with em. Most of the crazy rabbit holes that folks fall down is unneeded if you are just making a plinking round IMO.

I just recently started tumbling my brass but prior to that, my ugly used brass shot .5moa all day. (not range brass) In my case tumbling just makes things look good so I do it now, but it doesn't help with accuracy.

Make sure you measure and verify the consistency of the powder throw. I could never get my RCBS one to throw the same amount consistently and now use a chargemaster.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Lancaster County)

Perfect tumbler for you:

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/grd...820912600.html

But I thought you had one of these already?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Tioga County)

I have the Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler. Love it and works well. I have no interest in dry tumbling with lead soaked dust hanging about.

(Clarion County)

Here's a decent online guide: http://www.three-peaks.net/reload.htm
    I didn't tumble brass for many years. Put money other places. Didn't really bother me not to have showroom looking loads. However I did want clean brass. I covered some brass with a quart of hot water that has couple teaspoons of citric acid (lemishine or equivalent) added to it. Soaked for about 20 minutes and then rinsed. Dry in sun or sit near heat source. Worked well for me.
    For a crimped primer pocket inspect brass for a "ring" around the primer.
    Crimped-Military-vs-Non-Crimped-Commercial-Primers-The-Firearms-Forum.jpg
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Perfect tumbler for you:

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/grd...820912600.html

But I thought you had one of these already?
    Na, don't have one of them. I do have a blasting cabinet, maybe I could blow them around in that.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I have the Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler. Love it and works well. I have no interest in dry tumbling with lead soaked dust hanging about.
    I have heard good things about Frankford Arsenal tumbler(s) and I'll investigate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    Here's a decent online guide: http://www.three-peaks.net/reload.htm
    I didn't tumble brass for many years. Put money other places. Didn't really bother me not to have showroom looking loads. However I did want clean brass. I covered some brass with a quart of hot water that has couple teaspoons of citric acid (lemishine or equivalent) added to it. Soaked for about 20 minutes and then rinsed. Dry in sun or sit near heat source. Worked well for me.
    For a crimped primer pocket inspect brass for a "ring" around the primer.
    Crimped-Military-vs-Non-Crimped-Commercial-Primers-The-Firearms-Forum.jpg
    Thanks, that what I had been told before and I do check at it when I'm shooting it so I know I have some.

(Delaware County)

A tumbler is a nice to have. I don't have one. I use a couple of Wanton Soup (Chinese Food) containers. 1. Fill 3/4 with brass, Two squirts of dish detergent, A few squirts (teaspoon or 2) of lemon juice from the fridge, fill with hot water. 2. Shake for a few mins. let it sit for 10 mins, shake it again for a few mins. repeat for 30 mins or so. 3. Rinse them out and stick in a bowl to dry for a few weeks to make sure they are dry.
    I put mine in my utility room (hot water heater, heater, etc.) it has plenty of heat and airflow and they are out of the way.

Sometimes, I only shake them once, go watch TV, etc. then come back 40 mins later, give them another shake or 2 and then go to rinse.

They are plenty clean and shiny when done.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GardenGnome414 View Post
    A tumbler is a nice to have. I don't have one. I use a couple of Wanton Soup (Chinese Food) containers. 1. Fill 3/4 with brass, Two squirts of dish detergent, A few squirts (teaspoon or 2) of lemon juice from the fridge, fill with hot water. 2. Shake for a few mins. let it sit for 10 mins, shake it again for a few mins. repeat for 30 mins or so. 3. Rinse them out and stick in a bowl to dry for a few weeks to make sure they are dry.
    I put mine in my utility room (hot water heater, heater, etc.) it has plenty of heat and airflow and they are out of the way.

Sometimes, I only shake them once, go watch TV, etc. then come back 40 mins later, give them another shake or 2 and then go to rinse.

They are plenty clean and shiny when done.
    And will this get all of the dirt out that might have gotten in there when the brass hit the dirt at the range?

(Delaware County)

yep. sure does. most of my cases are range pickups. the main reason to clean cases is to remove grit so they don't mess up your dies. Shiny is nice but not necessary. The insides of my cases are still darkish but that doesn't affect anything. They are lighter/cleaner than when I get them. I can see the flash holes in the bottom. Try a few and see how it goes. There are you tube videos about it. Perhaps not using the Wanton container but doing wet tumbling without a tumbler.

Last week I bought a shoebox full of 357 range pickups. I had so many that I didn't want to use the small container. I dumped them in a bucket and used a stick to vigorously stirred it a bunch of times. They still look good.

I 100% admit that dry tumbling is "faster" in the sense that you don't need them to dry. I have so many cases that I never run out of clean ones. I have them in a cycle of loaded, drying and need to be cleaned.

(Delaware County)

Just some other tips....

Pay attention to what you are doing. Don't watch TV, listen to the radio, have a phone conversation, etc. while reloading. Pay attention to what you are doing and how your machine works. Get a scale and use it. 9MM isn't the easiest to load for, in my opinion. It's not hard but depending on the powder you use and the consistency of your powder drop/meter thingy, a few tenths can be a problem if you are up on the high end of pressures.

Start with a few charges at the bottom of the tables in the recipes and work your way up. You will see many stories online of someone who loaded 100 rounds with some recipe and then realized that it didn't shoot well. So, make a dozen of low, medium and high-ish pressure loads. Don't exceed max pressure. (yes, there are some folks that do with different loads, but not good advice for someone starting out). Go shoot them. Look for accuracy and signs of overpressure on the cases.

Read a book about the concepts. You tube videos are great but I still like a good manual that explains 'why'. I have the Lee Reloading book. Its got a ton of info and recipes for more cartridges that I'd ever even heard of. I still go online as well to look up recipes to cross reference and see other recipes. Not 100% of recipes are going to be in any book or on any website.

Don't worry about speed at first. That will come with knowing the machines, your powder and set up.

Also.. know what squib is. I don't have data backing this theory up, but I'd guess more squib loads occur with reloads than factory ammo.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast