Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pennsylvania Long Rifle

Kinda want something different then another AR or modern semi. Decided a PA long rifle replica would be a nice and fitting companion. So not know a thing about them what are some good replicas that can be taken to the range occasionally? Is it unrealistic to expect to find one for 400-500 bucks? Hell school me on them in general.

Thanks

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Pennsylvania Long Rifle

If you've got the time and ability, kit guns can be alot of fun and pride. dixie gun works https://www.dixiegunworks.com/ has many options from economical to very spendy:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...arch_params%3D

I've built a few, I love the personnel karma of touching one off that I have fitted and finished myself

And I thank you for calling it "pennsylvania" rifle, not that other state that stole our invention and ran with the publicity
    Last edited by SgtRecon; March 7th, 2019 at 10:11 PM.

(Lancaster County)

There are no decent mas produced long rifles, with the possible exception of some of Pedersolis offerings but I haven’t looked st those in a while. If you decide to build one, expect to pay at least $1K for the parts. Checkout TVM for probably the best bang for your buck. A couple years ago my buddy found a used Dixie Southern Mountain rifle at Dixon’s for $400. That was a steal. The Dixie SMR was probably the last authentic mass produced long rifle (it was made in Japan). If you want some eye opening....go to the Track of the Wolf website and checkout the prices on the custom and semi custom rifles. Lastly...,be sure to attend the Gunmakers Fsir at Dixon’s the last weekend in July.

(Allegheny County)

https://www.cabelas.com/product/PEDE...LE/1776934.uts

Not a PA long rifle, but closer to your price range. https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/lyman...flintlock.html
    I really enjoy shooting mine (Lyman Great Plains Rifle - Flint Lock). You'll need to work it a little to get the best performance out of it. Opening the touch hole a bit and dumping the man made flints for the correct English Flint. I have very close to zero lock time after these small changes. Oh, and don't put to much powder in the pan!
    Last edited by Hawk; March 8th, 2019 at 12:52 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(York County)

Second what Heatheroo said:
    The Tennessee Mt. Rifle was the best of the factory production. I had one of them (bought for brother in law) and also the Pedersoli long rifle modeled on the Bedford type with an elegant arched combless stock. Eventually had a friend build me one modeled on the York Co. guns in the early Federal period.

The real issue is not finding a rifle (my local gunshop has several for sale which were built from kits 30 years ago), but getting the right features on the same gun for the era its supposed to be from and place. If you live near enough to southern York county, go to the Gun Bunker. I think they had three between $399-499 when I was there last week.

Many otherwise nice rifles simply have the wrong mix of features as this was an individual gun that was built on a one by one basis back in the day and went thru very distinctive evolutions. If you aren't a history purist, you can ignore all that and choose from quite a few on the second hand market in your budget range.

(Lancaster County)

Here's one I built from mostly Dixie parts:

IMG_0267.jpg

(York County)

Oh like!

So being that I am looking for a shooter. What is a good resource to learn about other rifles from this time period. Im mostly looking for a design that would have been around and possibly seen use in the revolution.

(Lehigh County)

Spend some time looking at the Track of the Wolf website and you can learn quite a bit about variations etc. Not quite in your price range, but a lot of information available.
    https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Index.aspx
    There is a web page at crazy crow trading company that lists PA rendezvous which are open to the public and offer a vivid insight into the early American experience. Lots of old rifles, accoutrements, and more.
    https://www.crazycrow.com/site/pennsylvania-rendezvous/
    The Eastern National rendezvous is in Western PA very close to you. (2911 Stoney Run Road, Sugar Grove, PA) http://www.easternprimitiverendezvous.com/ but not until September.
    Have fun, check them out.
    If you want to make a trek East Dixons Muzzleloader Shop is the premier blackpowder rifle resource in PA. They have a Gunmaker's Fair at he end of July that is very good.
    www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Allegheny County)

My knowledge is a bit limited in this area. but here's some basics:

The "Brown Bess" was the standard rifle for the British and the most popular rifle used by both sides. It was a musket (smooth Bore) with limited accuracy (approx 100 yards, hense the volly fire used by both sides in battle). Because it was a musket it could be loaded easier and thus faster (3 rounds a minute).

The PA or Kentucky long rifle saw limited use. It had a rifled barrel and and were much more accurate than a musket (out to 300 yards). It was slower to reload (maybe one round a minute). The U.S. used these successfully in a "sniping" role (gorilla warfare).

The advantage of the Brown Bess over the American Long Rilfes (besides reloading time) was that they had the capability to make use of a bayonette in close quarters. The PA/Kentuky Long Rifles had no way to attach a bayonette.
    Last edited by Hawk; March 14th, 2019 at 09:25 PM.
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast