Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Shyda’s in Lebanon - Update?

I visit Shyda’s occasionally; bought two long guns from there a few years ago when prices were generally high.

The thing I liked about it was sometimes the thing others complained about. When I would go in there, they would leave me alone unless I had a question or wanted to see something in the counter. Then their response was always helpful and pleasant.

Well, something changed during my last visit. I was asked if I needed help as I walked around no less than five times! I know, I know- the humanity of it all! I don’t mind, but the change is quite marked. Did the ownership change or something? Just curious.

I didn’t want to revive a zombie thread, especially if it’s a different owner. If anybody wants to share their recent experiences there or has knowledge of the changes, please let us know. Thanks all.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Shyda’s in Lebanon - Update?

Coming from a sales background, it isn't a problem if you're asked if you need help by multiple people as they might not have known if anyone asked you yet. It's annoying when the same person asks you for help repeatedly.

There's a fine line to play in sales with those situations though, and a good salesman will look for the signs that someone that previously said they didn't need help, suddenly does.

Also, asking someone for help is a shoplifting counter measure. It lets a potential thief know that someone is looking at them.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Coming from a sales background, it isn't a problem if you're asked if you need help by multiple people as they might not have known if anyone asked you yet. It's annoying when the same person asks you for help repeatedly.

There's a fine line to play in sales with those situations though, and a good salesman will look for the signs that someone that previously said they didn't need help, suddenly does.

Also, asking someone for help is a shoplifting counter measure. It lets a potential thief know that someone is looking at them.
    So..putting two shotguns down my pants was wrong?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post

That last one. That’s all it is. Unless they work on commissions.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Chester County)

They don't have the best sales training apparently, never ask those kinds of closed ended questions. They should have asked you... What brought you in? What were you searching for?, Have you been shooting lately?, What do you think about the new xyz gun etc
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Dauphin County)

Shyda's certainly my go to place for powder. I always liked it.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    They don't have the best sales training apparently, never ask those kinds of closed ended questions. They should have asked you... What brought you in? What were you searching for?, Have you been shooting lately?, What do you think about the new xyz gun etc
    Baby steps, most gun shop employees are still getting over ignoring their customers.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

MG some of the shops in the Berks/ Montgomery county area wont even stop to say hello. IMO being greeted is far better than being ignored. I was in a new shop at the time and after 15 minutes walked out. Couldn't even get a high, by or kiss my ass. Haven't been back.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Lancaster County)

That’s a hard one for sales people sometimes because myself, I hate being harassed by sales people no matter where I’m at. When I go into a store, I generally already know what I want, where it’s at, and what I’m going to pay. If it’s not the item I want or price, I leave. Some people just need attention when they walk into a store and will bash the store if they don’t get it and say they’ll never return. But yet I can’t remember the last time anyone said “hello, is there anything I can help you find” at Walmart but everyone still shops there?? SMH.