Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Any input on getting a de-milled WWII era Mauser from Germany to the US?

I have a business acquaintance who is from Germany and is living and working in the US as an executive for his company. He is living in Texas where his company office is located, and on a recent visit to PA we got to talking about guns and shooting. He is a gun owner and goes to a range in Texas when he can. He is a firearm and history buff, and had acquired a Czech BRNO Mauser rifle while living in Germany just as a historical relic. The rifle barrel has been plugged or de-milled as to make it non-functional. He was able to research and determine quite a bit of information concerning manufacture date; German seizure of this rifle when the Germans took over Czechoslovakia, and the rifle's eventual trail to Normandy region in France. The rifle was found after being hidden and forgotten or lost for many years at a French farm before being discovered. As with many weapons after the war, it was rendered inoperable with the barrel being plugged. He obtained the rifle as a historical artifact, but left it in Germany when he relocated to the states for his job. He has reduced many of the ties he had with his life back in Germany, although his company is headquartered there and he occasionally travels back there for business.

In our discussions, he mentioned that he would greatly like to have his Mauser brought to the US. I had no knowledge of any laws or restrictions on what he wants to do, so I was just wondering if anyone here may have experience or knowledge about this topic. Is it feasible? What would be involved in getting it out of Germany? I would think that being made inoperable, it is not a functioning firearm. Does that have any bearing or not? If there were replacement parts to make the rifle functional, do you think that would impact the likelihood of getting this rifle to the US? He also has the matching bayonet and sheath. Now that is obviously not de-milled, it is a functioning bayonet.

I have just done a cursory internet search but haven't really found much logical direction there. I would appreciate any input or thoughts about how to go about finding information for compliance or what any restrictions might be.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Any input on getting a de-milled WWII era Mauser from Germany to the US?

I was stationed in Germany from 1989 to 1991. I brought back over 20 firearms on ATF Form 6s. None were deactivated. So, no direct relevant experience. ATF Form 6s were no trouble.

Issues:

1) 1990 was a long time ago.
    2) I had 'standing' - was a US Citizen bringing back firearms in my household goods. (they made landfall in Philly, cleared customs there, and were delivered to me by a moving company. No probs.)
    3) 9/11 hadn't happened when all this went on.
    4) None were deactivated.

ATF Form 6 still are used, best of my knowledge. Google around that Form number. Also Google as if he were coming to the US to hunt. There may be relevant chatter about the process. Recommend he NOT fly into New Jersey or New York.

Ray

Ray

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Any input on getting a de-milled WWII era Mauser from Germany to the US?

Ray, thanks. I did see some links to the ATF forms but have not had a chance to dig into them. Initially looks as if the method of making the firearm permanently inert will need to be proven to or examined by ATF too. All of your notes are valid, the world is much much different than 1990. Thanks for your input, much appreciated!!

(Berks County)

I've re-read your post. It's still a firearm - only the barrel is deactivated, in my opinion. I'd go ahead and submit a ATF Form 6. Call up the BATF up to walk you (your friend) through it.

One of the rifles I brought back from Germany was a CZ BRNO Mauser! Still have it.

And one day, up at the range, a COL showed up with a Mauser 98 that was in unissued condition. He married a Belgian girl. The rifle was found hidden, new in the wrapper, in their barn. Only the muzzle poked thru and showed any signs of patina. I was glad to see the rifle - well and truly a time capsule.

Good luck.

Ray

(York County)

Importing a firearm from abroad isn't all that difficult even now. Even assuming that ATF rules the weapon was not demilled to US spec, there are many dealers who can do the import. Simpson and Co. comes to mind, but I'm sure there are plenty of dealers in your friend's new home state who can do it. Let google be your friend.

(Tioga County)

Yes there are a number of businesses that can import it and transfer it to the owner.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks to all that replied in the thread.

(Blair County)

the receiver would have to be cut up to be de milled in us