Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default question about imported M70AB2 value for consignment

hey guys.. i need some insight due to recent events as im thinning the fleet here..

local GS wants to handle all my sales on consignement, 5% plus tranfer fees which i dont think is bad but i dont think he has a grip on the value of some pieces..

i got most of the values down packed based on new and used values ive seen online and on GB and corrected his asking prices, except for some pcs..

first and foremost is this unfired virgin M70AB2 with virgin 75rd imported mag and 6 used yugoslavian stick mags

its a low serial number but that doesnt help me cause i dont know where to go look into it..

serial number 00215, its stamped AK47 on the side and all parts have matching serial numbers, light color wood but plastic grip, NO cant on FSB, 1.5mm reciever

any insight on this?

any help would be appreciated

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: question about imported M70AB2 value for consignment

Going to need more info, a preban yugo build is going to be worth considerably more than a recent century build

The last time the M70's were on the market new they went for around $650.00-$675.00 and those were Ce fury builds. The resale on them isn't going to be much higher then then if at all right now. Like Radar said if it's a pre ban import then that's a different story.

To get the most money from it you have to have a buyer who knows exactly what it is and right now a lot of LGS are selling American made Century AK's for $600-$650.00 and while they are garbage the uneducated or casual gun buyer domestically know that which is why they continue to sell.

(Bucks County)

I'm assuming this is a century import M70 AK47, if so I routinely see them selling new for between 600 and 700 so a used rifle no matter how pristine should fetch maybe 500-550. If this is a pre-ban rifle imported by Mitchell it should be worth around 1500 - 2 grand. The drum is probably worth about 75 bucks. I'd sell the rifle and one magazine then sell everything else separately. Why are you putting your guns on consignment at a gun shop? 5% isn't bad but you can sell them yourself online and pocket that 5%. PAFOA is a great place to try and sell your firearms and it's free to place an add so why involve a middleman?

(Wayne County)

thanks for the quick replies fellas..

thinning the fleet i feel is the smart thing to do cause im away from home for work related reasons alot, and lately that "alot" has been overseas in Greece (im greek) so hence the consignment, sometimes i couldnt sleep when the power went out in my area and i would lose my home alarm and camera feeds, quick phone calls to my neighbors would put me at ease but still..

the rifle is def a import.. question is, although im pretty confident its NOT a century import which would indicate recent import, how can i find out if mitchell imported or not? mitchell import would indicate pre 89 wouldnt it?

also...
    Ive been googling and found out i have a teak handguard, any ideas?

edit 8:40 pm...
    im going to upload pics, ive been reading up since i posted and im leaning towards this being an american arms Yugoslavian import, mitchell modded all theres for import by adding a thumbhole stock, and also, century imports from romania and serbia dont they?
    Last edited by ghost183; March 3rd, 2019 at 09:44 PM.

(Clearfield County)

All the yugos will have teak furniture, excluding the ones Century put American wood on. Century both imported and build AK's, there should be an importer or maker's mark on the receiver, unless it was home built.

(Washington County)

The markings on the receiver will tell the story. If it is imported, it will have importer marks. If it is a Century, it is a parts build not an import.

(Allegheny County)

Look for import stamps for Mitchell Arms as they were the main importers of the Yugo guns. As for teak wood, I'm 99% certain they were some kind of Euro-birch wood that resembles teak, but I am not where my 99 million AK bookmarks are to look this up and debate it.

ETA - look in the SKSFILES forum under Yugo guns, Matt from Ironwood Designs addresses the old Teak myth of Yugo guns; they used various strains of Euro Elms, walnuts - no Teak from the factory.
    Last edited by nfafan; March 4th, 2019 at 10:14 AM.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Bucks County)

Mitchell imported a few Yugo AK's with the thumb hole stock but these where guns that were caught up in the mess created by the 94 AWB. Mitchell removed the original stock and pistol grip and added the thumb hole in order to get the rifles through customs. Prior to the 94 AWB all Mitchell imported Yugo AK47's were imported with bayonet lug, pistol grip and stock.

While century imported the majority of Yugo AK's there were a few other companies importing kits and building them into complete rifles. I bought a Yugo underfolder from Atlantic Firearms that wasn't imported by century but I forget the importer/manufacturer. All the info necessary to determine the importer/manufacturer of your rifle should be stamped on the receiver.

(Wayne County)

thanks for all your inpout fellas..

i appreciate it.

turns out its JUST an AK..

ive attached pics

Attachment 115783

Attachment 115784

Attachment 115785
    Last edited by ghost183; March 5th, 2019 at 05:32 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast