Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Suppressor for a 5.56 M4

I’m starting to look for one and obviously there are 1000’s of choices. I like the sandman s and the SilencerCo Saker. I guess I’m looking for a little help and info on what you all like. What are some features and benefits of them.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Suppressor for a 5.56 M4

Is there any chance you may want to suppress a larger cal. then 5.56 in the near future? I have a OSS HX-QD 762 Ti in ATF Jail right now. I will be using that suppressor on my Colt 6933, Colt M16, a 6.5 Creedmoor Hunting Rifle and a Smith Ent. M21. That one suppressor will be used on 3 calibers, 5.56, 6.5 CM, and 7.62 x 51. If you shoot other calibers besides 5.56 you may want to look at a 7.62 can. Maybe someday you may want to do a 300 Blackout on your AR. It is a lot cheaper buying mounts for rifles then a suppressor and a stamp for each caliber.

Just My $0.02.

My sons have AAC cans in 5.56 & 7.62 and we all use them and like them.

Anyway Good Luck with your choice.

Dane

(Wyoming County)

My .02

I have a SilencerCo. Specwar 5.56(preceeded the Saker) & a YHM Phantom LT .30

If I had to do it all over again based on my use and research of other brands - I strongly believe I would have to go DeadAir Sandman (Probably the L or S) the K is too small for me and I like having as much decibel reduction as I can get.

I say this because I really like the option to use the sandman on both .22 & .30 and the ability to change end caps. From what I read- the Sandman has a solid reputation of one of, if not the best, QD attachments in the industry.

Last edited by ExFlyinguy; March 1st, 2019 at 06:02 PM.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Washington County)

My 3 cents, AAC M4-2000. I have put 1,000's of rounds of full-auto through it, still works great.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MD66948 View Post
    Is there any chance you may want to suppress a larger cal. then 5.56 in the near future? I have a OSS HX-QD 762 Ti in ATF Jail right now. I will be using that suppressor on my Colt 6933, Colt M16, a 6.5 Creedmoor Hunting Rifle and a Smith Ent. M21. That one suppressor will be used on 3 calibers, 5.56, 6.5 CM, and 7.62 x 51. If you shoot other calibers besides 5.56 you may want to look at a 7.62 can. Maybe someday you may want to do a 300 Blackout on your AR. It is a lot cheaper buying mounts for rifles then a suppressor and a stamp for each caliber.

Just My $0.02.

My sons have AAC cans in 5.56 & 7.62 and we all use them and like them.

Anyway Good Luck with your choice.

Dane
    I'm considering the same suppressor myself. The low back pressure is an attraction to me since HK91s usually require locking pieces to be swapped out to run better suppressed. Note that both SilencerShop and Botach have a $200 off deal on OSS suppressors right now.

(Lackawanna County)

Look at dead air and their sandman’s
    Silencerco
    Q
    Rugged
    Crux are getting great reviews now.

The Yankee hill turbo is a great cab for bang for your buck

I’ve got a griffin armament recce that has been fantastic and couldn’t say enough good about

(Centre County)

I agree with MD66948 - if you are going to use it on anything bigger in the future, go with a .30 cal suppressor that you can change the front end cap. All the ones mentioned are very good suppressors. I would also look at the Silencerco Saker ASR 762. You can change the end caps to a 5.56 or 7.62 and have good suppression.

Here are some specs for it (at the muzzle):
    5.56 MM: 129.6 DB
    7.62MM: 132.9 DB
    .300 BLK: 119.0 DB
    .300 WM: 137.7 DB
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    I'm considering the same suppressor myself. The low back pressure is an attraction to me since HK91s usually require locking pieces to be swapped out to run better suppressed. Note that both SilencerShop and Botach have a $200 off deal on OSS suppressors right now.
    Too Big,

I selected the HX-QD 762 because of the low back pressure. I spent a few more $$ to go with the Titanium model. I plan to use it hunting and the 14 oz. weight was a big plus for me. I was very fortunate when I decided to buy it, OSS had a Great Deal going on. They were giving buyers two (2) Free Mounts of their choice. I called OSS and talked to them to confirm the offer. I also asked them what mounts would be the most efficient. I was told to go with the more expensive Muzzle Brake-QD mounts, ($149.00 Ea.). So I selected one Muzzle Brake-QD Mount in 556 and one in 762. I sent OSS a copy of my GB Purchase and I had the mounts in my possession in 6 days.

Last month OSS told me they will be releasing a mount to the public in the near future for the M14. As soon as it is available I will be buying one to mount on my Smith M21. I will also have to buy a site base from Smith since the Front Site & FH will be removed from the rifle. The M14 is one of the worst firearms to suppress. The blow back is right in front of the shooters face. That was another reason why I went with the Low Back Pressured OSS HX-QD Can.

I will post pictures when I get it.

Dane

So I’ve done a little more studying on silencer shop website and the Rugged Razor is nice too. I am looking to buy a 30cal just for the versatility

To me, buying suppressors is like buying AR uppers. You can buy an AR lower and switch out multiple uppers, but that gets old quickly and each upper eventually finds its own lower. Now with suppressors that’s a more expensive proposition, but your finances will dictate the cost/benefit.

Many manufacturers are now making QD mounts for other manufacturers’ suppressors, which is a good trend in the industry. This is especially important if you will have multiple hosts. With the wait on Form 4s, the new hotness in suppressors may be a little lukewarm by the time you get your paws on it. I would do your own research and go with a mounting system and suppressor that fits your needs. In my view, there’s a lot of snake oil salesmanship in the industry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast