Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Calls

(Berks County)

Default Re: Turkey Calls

Gobble call? Is that the rubber shaking thing? Okay, so may take a while to master a mouth call so I will get one and practice but to get going this spring, maybe a box and a slate or just one of them? Yeah I have a lot to learn but at least want top put out some sound. I assume youtube will help with the patterns to call out in?

I also heard that you have to be careful with one call because you don't want hunters shooting you. I assume that is the male call but what exactly is that? From what I have seen thus far, you need a loud locating type call to find them and once you do, use that loud to draw them in but then softer and softer as they are in range?

Also, found a great video on how to process a turkey, seems simple. My question is if I want to keep the tail and the beard and feet (why do you keep that part) I cut them off however someone said cover in salt? I assume once I breast it out, just take what is left over and throw in woods? Can I take home to process? i assume I tag and take it out but can I do all that at home and then what do do with whats left over?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Gobble call? Is that the rubber shaking thing? Okay, so may take a while to master a mouth call so I will get one and practice but to get going this spring, maybe a box and a slate or just one of them? Yeah I have a lot to learn but at least want top put out some sound. I assume youtube will help with the patterns to call out in?

I also heard that you have to be careful with one call because you don't want hunters shooting you. I assume that is the male call but what exactly is that? From what I have seen thus far, you need a loud locating type call to find them and once you do, use that loud to draw them in but then softer and softer as they are in range?

Also, found a great video on how to process a turkey, seems simple. My question is if I want to keep the tail and the beard and feet (why do you keep that part) I cut them off however someone said cover in salt? I assume once I breast it out, just take what is left over and throw in woods? Can I take home to process? i assume I tag and take it out but can I do all that at home and then what do do with whats left over?
    I wouldn't get a gobble call. I think at this point, it's going to hurt you more than it helps. Yes, that's the call that male turkeys make.

You don't need a locating call either (typically an owl or crow call). They'll generally gobble when there's a loud noise - the locator calls are just supposed to sound natural. Definitely interesting if you've ever hunted in a thunderstorm before.

In a month or so (maybe even less), get out into the woods. Really early. And I mean REALLY early (well before sunlight). A lot of the times, a turkey will gobble on the roost without any action needed on your part. They might not be in the same place when the season starts, but it'll give you a good idea of where they are.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Good idea to practice in the car as my wife would be driven crazy ha ha! More to consider but I am understanding a little better, a lot to learn!
    Just practice outside. I do it on the deck so I can actually call a turkey in if it's paying attention.

(Berks County)

You all have been very helpful thank you but still not sure what to do ha ha! I think for starters a pot call may be in order as you can do a lot with it. All about cadence, I get it.

Now, where do they hang out? Hopefully not near the deer I never see when I hunt!

(Allegheny County)

The PGC used to offer a turkey hunting specific class, but it seems like they don't have it anymore? It had a decent manual, which used to be online, but no more I suppose...

In the mean time, I would suggest you spend your time perusing the NWTF...

http://www.nwtf.org/

(Berks County)

I will do that, thanks!

(Berks County)

Quick question on this, I saw one box call say no chalk is required however it is still made out of wood. That doesn't sound right does it? Seems like they would all need chlak where surfaces contact?

Also for a glass pan call, no conditioning required as you really can't scuff up glass? What about the striker?

(Montgomery County)

I'll be a first time turkey hunter this spring as well. I just purchased the Raspy Old Hen call from Amazon for $5. Figured I couldn't go wrong for the price. Plus the name cracks me up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll start with this and see how I do.......

(Susquehanna County)

Spring Turkey is my favorite season of all seasons.. Nothing like hearing them drop down from across a hollow.. then start a few hen calls and hear the first gobble.

For having small brains they sure know how to mess with you LOL
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    If I cared , I wouldnt mention this ..... but it took me almost a year to figure out the mouth call.
    My friend who is a retard , picked it up instantaneously???
    I was less then pleased obviously.
    I love the mouth calls.
    Forget people TELLING you how to use it , and forget trying to follow the directions.
    Get someone patient to SHOW you in person is best I think.

I also have an old box call I use.

Here's my tip..... I like to use the mouth as a locator in the spring ......
    but when I set up or in the fall season ................ I like to use the mouth and box call together.
    I do not pretend to be a single bird .... I pretend to be a couple birds.
    Despite all the people who will claim fall calling is pointless ...... it is not.
    In the spring they come in for love ...... they are still a social bird to an extent and will come in during the fall because they are a social bird.

If I thought for one second you hunted my locations ............. I wouldnt have mentioned any of this.

Good luck , it's fun for sure.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast